Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help!!Smoke - steam coming into car!!

M

mikeyc4

Hi guys,got an alarming problem,whilst driving the car tonight,i noticed a faint burning smell,followed by smoke or steam coming out the air vent onto the window,it had that burning antifreeze smell i think!

Any ideas what it could be?is it safe to drive as it is?

jimmers

Corvette
1990 Red Coupe 6 speed
If it smells like coolant and leaves a film on the window then its probably the heater core. Is the passenger side carpet wet?

M

mikeyc4

Yes it left condensation on the front windscreen,carpet is dry though,if its the core,is it hard -expensive job to do?or is there a way to bypass the core?

jimmers

Corvette
1990 Red Coupe 6 speed
Yes it left condensation on the front windscreen,carpet is dry though,if its the core,is it hard -expensive job to do?or is there a way to bypass the core?

You can bypass the heater core by connecting the 2 heater hoses together. I replaced my heater core last year. It wasnt hard to do, just very frustrating and time consuming. The heater core is only about $50, but if you took it to a garage the labour will kill you.

M

mikeyc4

So,do i need to remove the dash stil to get to the pipes?Or can it be done elsewhere?iS it easier to do than the core?

jimmers

Corvette
1990 Red Coupe 6 speed
So,do i need to remove the dash stil to get to the pipes?Or can it be done elsewhere?iS it easier to do than the core?

The 2 heater hoses are under the hood and under the coolant reservoir. It is easier to bypass the heater core but then you wouldn't have any heat obviously.

M

mikeyc4

Ok,thanks for that,so i dont need to remove any part of the dash,just bypass it from under the bonnet?Just want to be sure!!

jimmers

Corvette
1990 Red Coupe 6 speed
Ok,thanks for that,so i dont need to remove any part of the dash,just bypass it from under the bonnet?Just want to be sure!!

I'm not sure what you mean by bonnet, but the 2 hoses are under the coolant reservoir.

muddywaters

Corvette
1988 white 4+3 coupe 99 Torch Red 6spd. coupe
Hi, I did the by-pass on my 79 coupe , before I sold it I replaced the heater core, seats had to come out, dropped steering wheel, removed entire dash and ducting, if I were to keep the car, which would be strictly fair weather use, I would just by-pass the core , the dash stays cooler also. I only repaired it because everyone wants a heater that works..........

milehigreg

Corvette
1989 Dark Red Coupe
"Bonnet" is Queen's English for hood. :) So yes Mikey, under the bonnet.

Can't imagine why anyone would want a working heater. ;shrug:)

M

mikeyc4

I'm not sure what you mean by bonnet, but the 2 hoses are under the coolant reservoir.

Yep,thats english for hood!!Got to get used to the "american" versions!!

So,is the bypass pipe something i need to make myself,or can you just buy one?If not,whats best to use to make one?

Thanks again!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom