Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help with 69 distributor

J Koehler

Corvette
1969 Conv & 2001 Conv both are yellow cars
I rebuilt a 69 350 and I have a question with regard to the required lubricant in the distributor. There is a chamber for the tac cable gears in the column of the distributor. What type of lubricant is required in this chamber?;shrug

for the Tach drive you can use any high quality grease to lubricate the gears.

what are you doing about packing and lubricating the upper oil well (cavity surrounding the upper bearing)?
One way to do it is to repack the upper oil well with a folded 3”x 3” piece of gauze. Saturate the packing with oil - 20wt. non-detergent motor oil is preferred. Do not reuse the saw dust like material that was originally packed in the well due to contamination.
Install a new plastic seal (still available from GM under part number 1950569 for 10-pack) in the counterbore above the oil well and then position the felt washer on top of the seal. Saturate the felt with 20wt. oil

thanks for the info. I tried to put oil into the oil well and it came out the bottom of the shaft.

dod you repack it with gauze, cotton, or any other type of absorbent material first to hold the oil?

thanks for the info. I tried to put oil into the oil well and it came out the bottom of the shaft.

That well must be packed with an absorbent material as Barry noted, to retain the lubricant around the upper bushing; only the lower bushing sees any engine oil - the only lubricant the upper bushing sees is what is retained in that well.

:beer

Thanks I will take it apart and repack the well.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom