Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help with son's '84.

roger longman

Corvette
1977 c3 orange ! 1988 c4 kinda purple 1991 'race
Hi all, I just replaced the alternator on my son's '84. It's blown the 15amp fuse that handles the interior light,cigarette lighter, etc. 5 times in as many days. As an electrician I make a good painter (cry). Could there be any link between the new alternator and the fuse blowing,the alternator has the same output as the old ? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Roger. :confused

Probably not. I would be looking for a short. Start by disconnecting the cigarette lighter and see if the problem goes away.

Gotta be a short

I concur with the above, work your way through the circuit, lighter and interior lites. disconnecting one at a time until it goes away.
Search this website for info on any other items on that circuit.
GOOD LUCK!!!!
Pleeeeease post your results.!!!!!!!!:beer

Was it blowing the fuse before you changed the alternator?:confused
If it was, then I'd definitely be looking for a short somewhere, as has been said. Look down in the ciggy lighter and see if there's a penny or other coin down in there...that's pretty popular.
If it wasn't blowing the fuse before, then we're looking at a totally different issue...:ugh

Suggestion on blowing fuse

There is a timer on the interior lights. I have had it short out. Look at it.

He thinks it's to do with the switch that indicates a door being open,on the dash, as it would sometimes flash. he jiggled it (a technical term) and it's been OK since. Thanks for the input. Roger.

who did change?

I concur with the above, work your way through the circuit, lighter and interior lites. disconnecting one at a time until it goes away.
GOOD LUCK!!!!
A guy who knows old vettes or a buddy? old wires and relays that get more juice than they are used too get hot and fry.....found this out w/my headlight prob..visually inspect all wires u can see.....

GOOD LUCK!!!!
Hi everyone, this has taken a while BUT. I think we've found the culprit ! Pulling around wires, an intermittant short, causing the 15 amp fuse to blow,seemed to have cured the problem. However as he pulled away smoke started to issue from the transmission area, PLUMES of it, filling the interior. Yanking open the console lid revealed the villain, the wires to the small light within had been partially stripped and touching ! Some electrians tape and Hey Presto. He'll have to put up with the smell for a couple of weeks but a small price to pay for what could have been disaster. Sorry it's taken so long to resolve......Roger.

Thanks for the update. Good to hear!!! The smell is a small price to pay, considering what could have happened. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom