Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

High Mileage '94

J

jasbogart

I am considering buying a used '94 LT1 that has about 87K miles on it. The car seems to run fine and I know the owner has taken good care of it but I am concerned with the high mileage (obviously!) I owned a '93 and sold it at 78K miles with no major problems....but my wife wants to know at what point do Corvettes die? And at what cost does it take to keep them alive?

I know its not as simple as that, but if anyone has a high mileage C4 and wants to share some of their experiences, please do. I just don't want to get in over my head. Thanks.

Jason

I sold my '93 at 104k miles... It was running very well, and everything was fine but I did have to do some repairs... things to look out for on higher mileage C4's: If it is stick, the clutch, if it is auto, then the tranny's tend to go around 100k, unless the fluid has been changed frequently. The U-Joints tend to go (just the rear 4 in most cases), the opti-spark, water-pump, alternator, brakes, etc.... most of the items are maintenace items anyway, but just things to consider... the LT1 is a great engine, and they usually have no major problems unless they are highly modified.... basically, on a C4 with high miles, expect 2000 in maintenance per year, including tires/oil changes/and all other normal stuff.... this assumes 12-15k miles per year.

I bought my 86 coupe with 135k miles on it and have put 5k on it since with no problems. I know that the engine trans and ear end are original with no major maint. The car runs great uses no oil biggest problem is the lumbar and bolster controls on the sport seats. Hope this helps some.:Roll

As far as I'm concerned these cars if properly maintained will break 250k. My 85 has about 90k and beside regular maitenance,fluid changes,rubber,brakes the only items I've replaced are a master cylinder and fuel regulator (this week). What's important is how well was it maintained? If it is a stock car the mileage wouldn't bother me one bit. I tend to stay away from modified cars unless of course it's from a member of CACC. Killer Shark comes to mind:cool :_rock :_rock
Just my .02

Carlo

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom