Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

High Tire Pressure Warning

49erY2KC5

I recently put on a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus as replacements. The recommended psi for these is 51 psi, but since the car is just a daily driver and won't be driven on the track, I put 40 psi in all four. After driving approximately 80 miles, the "high pressure" warning came on within the DIC. I checked the tire pressure after my trip was completed and it was 45 psi in each of the tires.

I realize that the OEM pressure (per the door sticker) is only 30 psi.

Is there a way to easily reprogram the system so I don't have to stare at this warning everyday?

Thanks for any suggestions.

High Pressure Warning

I recently put on a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus as replacements. The recommended psi for these is 51 psi, but since the car is just a daily driver and won't be driven on the track, I put 40 psi in all four. After driving approximately 80 miles, the "high pressure" warning came on within the DIC. I checked the tire pressure after my trip was completed and it was 45 psi in each of the tires.

Is there a way to easily reprogram the system so I don't have to stare at this warning everyday?

Tire pressure

I have the same tires on my car and the 51 psi is the MAX pressure for those tires, not the recomended pressure. I bet they ride pretty hard at those pressures. After driving on them, the pressure rises causing the high pressure reading. I suggest you go to the recomended pressure of 30 psi.

I had the same tires on my C5 and 51 cold is way to high .That is probably the max for that tire under all conditions .Use the pressure on the door of 30 pounds (31 for max wear)Somewhere on this forum is an alignment spec recommended by GM Junkie that will give you in the area of 40,000 miles on your pilots .In my estimation Michelin's are a fine match .

Alaska ,one of the most beautiful places on earth :D

Last edited:

Is this your first vehicle? Who put on your Michelins and did they tell you to air up to 51 psi? Did you not notice that you bounced down the road instead of rolling down the road? This is an April fools joke, right?

Is this your first vehicle? Who put on your Michelins and did they tell you to air up to 51 psi? Did you not notice that you bounced down the road instead of rolling down the road? This is an April fools joke, right?
If not you show incredibly poor table manners .:eyerole

I don't agree with those who are suggesting to lower the pressure to 30psi. The psi rating is for the tire, not the vehicle. I changed out the tires and the new tires have a 50psi max....so I filled them to 40psi and get the same alarm.

I'm not sure there is a way to configure min/max for the car, but I do believe that the tire should be filled as per the recommended pressure stated on the tire.

If not you show incredibly poor table manners .:eyerole

I apologize profusely if anyone has taken my comments to be "poor table manners." Seriously, If what this person is saying is true, he could have cause a major accident causing harm to himself and others had he encountered a blowout; think 51 psi cold; driven and the heat increases the psi by 4-8 more...All because he read the tire where it clearly says "maximum tire pressure" and that's what he used? Never thinking to call the tire place or read the manual. Oops, there I go again with my poor table manners. I am sorry.

I apologize profusely if anyone has taken my comments to be "poor table manners." Seriously, If what this person is saying is true, he could have cause a major accident causing harm to himself and others had he encountered a blowout; think 51 psi cold; driven and the heat increases the psi by 4-8 more...All because he read the tire where it clearly says "maximum tire pressure" and that's what he used? Never thinking to call the tire place or read the manual. Oops, there I go again with my poor table manners. I am sorry.

I don't think anyone is gonna be so sensitive to be insulted by you, but if your going to make suggestions like "read the manual", maybe you should first read the original post where he 'clearly states' that he filled them to 40psi, even though the maximum is listed as 51psi.

:)

The maximum inflation pressure stamped on the tire's sidewall is the pressure at which the tire will carry it's maximum rated load, however, that specification is set by the tire's manufacturer.

The tire pressure to use when the tire is installed on a vehicle, is the tire pressure listed on the maximum GVW tag which is usually on the car's passenger side B-piller. It will give a GVW and a tire pressure required to carry that load. THAT is the pressure to use. Do not inflate the tires to a higher pressure, even if a higher number is listed on the tire as it's max. rated pressure.

The vehicle manufacturer decides the proper and safe tire pressure for the car, not the tire maker.

I don't agree with those who are suggesting to lower the pressure to 30psi. The psi rating is for the tire, not the vehicle. I changed out the tires and the new tires have a 50psi max....so I filled them to 40psi and get the same alarm.

I'm not sure there is a way to configure min/max for the car, but I do believe that the tire should be filled as per the recommended pressure stated on the tire.

You are not correct. Check with any tire shop, car dealership, high performance shops, etc. Since I am not an certified expert, check out what you just said with the experts out there or the technical folks on this forum. Unless you're on the April Fool's Run. In that case, you got me again.

This thread was posted twice.
That's a no-no.

See the same thread in General C6 for more answers.

So I googled a bit to see what others had to say, and there are some that believe that the car's rating is what to go by. Not sure I understand the logic since the combination of car weight against the brand/model of tire would cause different pressures.

But either way, I will accept that I was wrong here, at least in a "majority rules" situation.

but I do believe that the tire should be filled as per the recommended pressure stated on the tire.

Dangerously wrong, sorry.

The maximum inflation pressure stamped on the tire's sidewall is the pressure at which the tire will carry it's maximum rated load, however, that specification is set by the tire's manufacturer.

The vehicle manufacturer decides the proper and safe tire pressure for the car, not the tire maker.

Spot on. :thumb

So I have agreed that I am wrong here....but I'm very curious as to the physics. Does anyone know? For example, take two tire brands/models. One says the max tire pressure this tire is built for is 35psi.....the other days 50psi. You put them in the same car.

How does the recommended pressure from the car mfg make sense? I would think the tire with a higher max is built different and would sit different at a certain pressure than another tire with a lesser rating. Wouldn't it cause one of the two tires to not sit flat, which I thought was what you want for even wear?

To turn your question around- the tire manufacturer has no idea what vehicle it will be installed on, how much it weighs, what the front/rear weight distribution is and how the tires are to be aligned. How could they issue a one-size-fits-all pressure that's correct for all vehicles?

Having the thread sit flat is just one of many considerations but not the most important. Sidewall deflection (tread roll under) is a huge consideration.

Well I was thinking similar to a bike tire....they build the tire to handle a certain amount of pressure and you adjust it (under the max) to your preference. If you have a heavy bike and/or your a heavy person, you might add more air to insure the ride isn't to smooshy (yes, smooshy is a technical term! :) ). If you are light you might want less air pressure to make sure the tire can absorb bumps. You never have the bike mfg tell you how much air to put in. Because the tire manufacturer doesn't know how much a car will weigh, they just build the tire to handle up to a certain weight.

This thread was posted twice.
That's a no-no.

See the same thread in General C6 for more answers.

Hib, I've merged the two threads. I'm thinking that the OP started the first thread in the wrong area, figured it out and posted again in the correct area. I doubt he was being malicious in his postings, just a newby.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom