Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Home-made lift?

blockhead

Just a thought-Has anyone thought of or know of anybody that has tried making there own sort of lift by using some plank and block? I know it sounds kind of scary but thought it would be a cheap way to get a little room to work underneath. Not real high-maybe 12 inches or so. I guess it would be more of a ramp system than a lift. Im in construction and have the stuff to do it. Not going to try it quite yet but am sleeping on it. Wanted to install a new exaust system and dont have a lift! Any thoughts?

One of the local guys made this to change the tranny in his car!
homemadelift.jpg

I am still thinking of building a homemade version of a kwik lift.
vette2.jpg

One of the local guys made this to change the tranny in his car!
homemadelift.jpg

That's pretty slick and it would all stack out of the way when you aren't using it.

That much wood in Spain would cost more than a 40 Ton truck lift.:crazy
I just paid over $100 for a 12' long pice of green 2X8 pine.:cry

On this side of the pond people build pits in the garage. As long as you can keep them drained they work great.

If you have a C5 you have to get the car up three feet to get the mufflers off unless you cut them up. I have the Kwik Lift and still had to go up at least a foot higher to change my mufflers. The wood system reminds me of the old movie "Bridge Over the River Kwai." Looks great.

I was lucky, after building and using the wooden ramps for a while, I found a used Kwiklift here in MA for $600.

:w
Guy

Home Made Ramps

Just a thought-Has anyone thought of or know of anybody that has tried making there own sort of lift by using some plank and block? I know it sounds kind of scary but thought it would be a cheap way to get a little room to work underneath. Not real high-maybe 12 inches or so. I guess it would be more of a ramp system than a lift. Im in construction and have the stuff to do it. Not going to try it quite yet but am sleeping on it. Wanted to install a new exaust system and dont have a lift! Any thoughts?

Made my ramps out of plywood. About 1/2 the weight of solid wood. Never liked ramps because they can slide when going up and down so came up with a way to avoid this problem. Mine are only high enough to get a jack under. Also made a cross brace from wood that fits my jack and both front and rear cross members. Put on our commerical welding web site. Check it out www.NetWelding.com/Details_Vette_Info.htm
Jerry

http://www.discountramps.com/sports_car_ramps.htm

$254.99 +40 s&h

mini-sports-car-lift-ramps.jpg

youll have a hard time welding up aluminum ramps for the price you can buy them for

Id forget the wood ramp idea unless you get the wood dirt cheap simply because the ramps are too heavy to easily move once you build them large & tall and strong enought to be truely useful,(been there done that) and I built mine to be hollow wedge ramps out of several sheets of marine plywood not solid wood, I GAVE them away once I got my lift simply because they were a P.I.T.A. to drag around, yeah they worked just fine,but probably weighed 60 lbs each, as I have zero intention of getting under a car IM not 110% sure is solidly supported, and I made those ramps REALLY STRONG and about 7 ft long and 12" tall

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom