Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hood Clearance Info (Edelbrock Performer RPM)

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
Hi Everybody,

My rebuilt engine does NOT fit under the stock hood. I have the Edelbrock Performer RPM and Edelbrock Carb set up (Thunder Series 650 cfm).

I thought this might be helpful info for those modifying, or planning to modify their intake/carb with this particular setup in an early model C3. A low-profile air cleaner won't help as the carb itself sits too high.

The clearance provided in an LT-1 style hood should do the trick. Of course, the L-88 hood will provide even more clearance.

Hope helpful...

Ralph

fine69 said:
Hi Everybody,

My rebuilt engine does NOT fit under the stock hood. I have the Edelbrock Performer RPM and Edelbrock Carb set up (Thunder Series 650 cfm).

I thought this might be helpful info for those modifying, or planning to modify their intake/carb with this particular setup in an early model C3. A low-profile air cleaner won't help as the carb itself sits too high.

The clearance provided in an LT-1 style hood should do the trick. Of course, the L-88 hood will provide even more clearance.

Hope helpful...

Ralph
edelbrock states that in their catalog,will not clear stock corvette hood

motorman said:
edelbrock states that in their catalog,will not clear stock corvette hood
So true mm.

Ralph:
Because they're not as tall as RPM ... Both Edelbrock Performer P/N 2101 and Weiand Action Plus P/N 8004 will clear & fit ... either have both squarebore & spreadbore carb flanges ... fits edelbrock, carter afb, holley and Qjet carbs.

Dunno about the "low-profile" ... but a "drop-base" air cleaner with a 2-to-3 inch filter MIGHT be low enough ... maybe ... dunno.

A friend of mine has a couple good used EP 2101 he'd part with reasonably ... might even work a swap for EP 7101/7104 ... email me if interested.
JACK:gap

Jack said:
So true mm.

Ralph:
Because they're not as tall as RPM ... Both Edelbrock Performer P/N 2101 and Weiand Action Plus P/N 8004 will clear & fit ... either have both squarebore & spreadbore carb flanges ... fits edelbrock, carter afb, holley and Qjet carbs.

Dunno about the "low-profile" ... but a "drop-base" air cleaner with a 2-to-3 inch filter MIGHT be low enough ... maybe ... dunno.

A friend of mine has a couple good used EP 2101 he'd part with reasonably ... might even work a swap for EP 7101/7104 ... email me if interested.
JACK:gap

Jack,

Thanks for the offer. However, after having the engine out since last March and just getting it back in, I'm going to refrain from any engine changes for now. Plus I really like the way the engine runs with the present setup.

Ralph

:L Im in the same boat, (so the saying goes?) Ive got a ZZ-383 crate engine, and have a Edelbrock Air cap performer intake. I havent installed the motor as of yet but I dont think the hood will clear the drop filter?. but I knew this from the start..... my susgestion is keep the motor and look for a High rise hood....
save the wave. good luck

Thats strange, I have the RPM Air Gap with a demon 650 carb and a drop base and it fits fine on mine with 3/4 " to spare. I have a 73, I know the hoods on a 73 are a mid rise.

waterboy1976 said:
Thats strange, I have the RPM Air Gap with a demon 650 carb and a drop base and it fits fine on mine with 3/4 " to spare. I have a 73, I know the hoods on a 73 are a mid rise.

I believe the Performer RPM Air Gap allows clearance, but the Performer RPM (non Air Gap) will not. My fault, I should have done better research.

I just recently purchased the "repro" original air cleaner base from Ecklers.It gave me almost an inch more hood clearance than my generic part store 14in. drop base air cleaner.The only problem is that the carberator vent tube is very close to the top of the air cleaner.I wish I would have bought the whole assembly because now im looking for a factory top.

fine69 said:
Hi Everybody,

Hope helpful...

Ralph
I have a '68 Big Block with a performer rpm air gap, a 750 Demon, 3" K&N filter, under a L-88 hood. It fits but it rubs. Have been thinking about doing the body work and raising the L-88 portion of the hood for more clearance. Can't even put a spacer or nitrous plate under the carb. Has anyone made this modification?

fine69 said:
Hi Everybody,

Hope helpful...

Ralph

Well, as it turns out, with a few modifications, the Performer RPM and carb setup can fit under the stock small block hood.

Here's what I had to do...

1. I purchased the 14" Edelbrock drop base air cleaner setup - there's a particular one they make for their Performer and Thunder Series carbs (according to their tech support, something about the electric choke makes this drop base different than others).

2. I then hooked up the connector to the Edelbrock drop base (this connects to the hose that goes to the right-hand side valve cover).

3. You don't have to, but I also replaced the chrome Edelbrock top with the stock variety -- this is simply for looks as I don't care for the "Edelbrock" logo (or any other logo for that matter) on the air cleaner.

4. I replaced the 3" air cleaner element with a 2" element and it now fits under the hood perfectly!

I was concerned that the flow may be too restricted, but it seems to be running just fine, and now I don't have to replace the hood! :)

The performer Rpm is only 3/4 " taller than a performer.
The book says it won't fit but I think it will, especially with a dropped base air cleaner.
I am actually finishing up the install of a new crate ZZ383 with a Performer RPM and a nice shiney dropped base 14" air cleaner today and by this evening I can say definitely whether it will fit. If my measurements and math were correct, I will have an inch to spare. the filter I chose is summit's # mrg-4339. It's only about 2 1/4" above the carb. It is a plain smooth top.
I can emails pics later if anyone is interested.
Can I post pics on this forum, and if so, how ?
Also, the RPM and RPM air gap have the exact same installed height.
Edelbrock has a webpage that shows all of the manifold carb heights and how to measure them.
Kevin

I have a polished performer non egr manifold. part # 21011 for small block Chevy for sale. It sits .70" (3/4") lower than a Performer Rpm.
It is in like new condition with no scratches,stains,corrosion or stripped threads. Only used for a few hundred miles and includes the original box and instructions. Except for the marks made by the manifold washers and some gasket material to clean off, it could pass as new. Bought only about 6 months ago.
I will also include the ARP stainless manifold bolts, a chrome edelbrock throttle bracket with kickdown bracket, carb studs, and two sets of gaskets.
Look up the prices and then make me an offer. No disappointments and money back guarantee. Bought from summit. Check my references as eb@y user 1unsafe1.
Reason for selling : It WON'T fit the vortec fastburn heads on my ZZ383

I'll send it thru the post office with no additional charges. you'll have it in 3-4 days !
I can email pics as it sits right now and also installed.
kbwillson@gci.net

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom