Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hood Clearance

I

ibanezplayer

I have a 383 Stroker engine with an edelbrock air gap intake and a 1 inch carb spacer, is there any hood that will clear this combination? Or can the stock hood be modified? Thanks for your help.

Ibanezplayer

I believe the only Edelbrock intake that will fit under our (C3) stock hoods is the Performer. You'll have to cut a hole in your stock hood or perhaps look for an L-88 hood. There may be other styles of hoods available to fit your set-up, but I don't know what they are.
Do post a pic when you find one and install it! I'd like to see it.
Heidi

ps, I absolutely LOVE the L88 hoods!

pps...Hubby has an Ibanez electric. It has a very thin neck.

My '79 has an L88 hood with the factory style air box. Under that hood I've got a small block with an RPM Air-Gap manifold, a 1 inch spacer, 750 Speed Demon, another 1 inch spacer and the factory big block air cleaner base.

1979toy, is that hood and your setup functional for fresh air to the carb?
What were the sources of the parts you used?

dk1977 said:
1979toy, is that hood and your setup functional for fresh air to the carb?
What were the sources of the parts you used?

Fresh air is able to get to the carb, although I do not use an airbox. The sources of the parts I used, I'm not sure what you mean like where did I get them or who were they made by. I'll just post a list of what's been done so far.

Engine:
Machined to 383 stroker
Edelbrock air gap preformer intake
switched to 4 bolt mains
new edelbrock fuel pump
re-built holley 650 carb

Suspension:
Vette brakes and preformance complete suspension kit which includes new a-arms and bilstein shocs, front and rear sway bars.
New trailing arms

Brakes:
Front and rear stainless steel brakes, force 4 piston calipers, steel braided lines, and turbo slotted rotors.
New parking brake.
New tuff stuff chrome brake booster and master cylinder.

Transmission:
New B&M TH-350 automatic transmission.
New B&M flexplate
New B&M torque converter

Cooling:
New Be cool aluminum radiator
Billet specialties water neck

Ignition:
New MSD Starter
New MSD HEI distibutor
MSD Plug wires

Rear end:
New 3.70 posi track differential
New ecklers beefier cover

Still to come:
Concept one pulley kit
lines

78SilvAnniv said:
I believe the only Edelbrock intake that will fit under our (C3) stock hoods is the Performer. You'll have to cut a hole in your stock hood or perhaps look for an L-88 hood. There may be other styles of hoods available to fit your set-up, but I don't know what they are.
Do post a pic when you find one and install it! I'd like to see it.
Heidi

ps, I absolutely LOVE the L88 hoods!

pps...Hubby has an Ibanez electric. It has a very thin neck.[/quote

Thanks, where might i find an L88 hood?

I'm hopin to get another Ibanez soon.

My hood came from J.C. Whitney. It came complete with the air-box. You can order them either with or without for the same price. The rest of the air cleaner stuff came from Paragon. You'll have to mix and match spacers that will clear the linkage and fuel lines and also seal to the hood.

Let's see if I can put up a picture.

Vetteengine.jpg

The 76-79 med. rise hood allows the Victor Jr, RPM & others on SB w/ aftermarket dropbase filter & Holley. No room for a 1" spacer w/ RPM intake.

The hood I have should fit ya just fine... 4" additional (I think) clearance over stock hood. Still retains that stock "350" hood look. You can find it at most of the aftermarket dealers.

Check this thread and go down to my post #14 to see the prices/part numbers from various vendors

Evolution1980 said:
The hood I have should fit ya just fine... 4" additional (I think) clearance over stock hood. Still retains that stock "350" hood look. You can find it at most of the aftermarket dealers.

Check this thread and go down to my post #14 to see the prices/part numbers from various vendors

Everything looks good, but do you think that a 77-82 hood will mount okay on my 76?

ibanezplayer said:
Everything looks good, but do you think that a 77-82 hood will mount okay on my 76?
Don't know for sure. Call the places you are considering buying from and ask them... :)

78SilvAnniv said:
I believe the only Edelbrock intake that will fit under our (C3) stock hoods is the Performer. You'll have to cut a hole in your stock hood or perhaps look for an L-88 hood. There may be other styles of hoods available to fit your set-up, but I don't know what they are...

Good observation Heidi! The stock hood is rather low and I've heard a lot of complaints with intake/carb swaps that don't clear.

Shifting topics... I believe the L88 hood will clear a Holley Stealth Ram, for the EFI crowd. I haven't measured out the height myself, but according to what I've seen in terms of hood height on the L88 and then the added height of the Steath Ram... it should fit.

Anyways, a HSR swap would be a great idea for a C3. I'd do it but I've already siamesed, polished and ported my SLP runners and plenum. I've only got $300 in a complete intake (injectors, fuel rail, etc) and that includes my SLP runners (a la Ebay!). Adding in the harness, I have $575. That and I really like the look of TPI, so the HSR is out for me.

It seems like it has the most bang for the buck in terms of new sysems-
http://www.stealthram.com/intakecompare.html

I have a 383 Stroker engine with an edelbrock air gap intake and a 1 inch carb spacer, is there any hood that will clear this combination? Or can the stock hood be modified? Thanks for your help.

Ibanezplayer
I RAN A EDELBROCK VICTOR JR. ON MY 406 FOR YEARS WITH THE STOCK HOOD. HAPPY MOTORING RUSS

Evolution1980,
I went to the thread and post #14. Not to complain but I was wondering if you might have a picture of your hood that was not so shaded? Thanks.
Chiller

I was wondering if you might have a picture of your hood that was not so shaded?
Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Do you want a close up of the cowl? As opposed to what's in my sig below? Do you want a view from the cockpit? I'm not really sure what you are asking. :confused

Evolution1980,
Sorry about the confusion. On the other thread post #12 you have a picture of a complete side view of your Vette. Behind the cowl area it is shaded to a point that makes it difficult to see the profile of the hood. If you could post pictures of areas that you suggested would be great. Thanks again,
Chiller

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom