Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hood Emblem....HELP!!!

FFAST87

Corvette
1987 Black Coupe
Ok...I know GM makes the littlest simple jobs the most frustrating...forcing you to go to the dealership service dept....but whats up with the Hood Emblem??? I bought a new GM emblem for my 87...it arrives in a box, no speed nuts...gaskets instructions...nadda!!! Just the emblem with two plain non threaded tapered studs!!!
I'm feeling thru the two holes inside the engine compartment...and can''t for the life of me feel any kind of nuts or clips holding the emblem on. Anyone clue me in on the big secret?? Am I missing something. I called Corvette Central who I bought the emblem from..they say that the emblem is complete..there are no speed nuts...or adhesive tape...so how does this bugger stay put!!!!?????:mad :confused .
This should be a 5 minute job like the rear gas tank emblem.. unscrew the two nuts off of the "THREADED" studs....dental floss off the adhesive barrier...and reinstall the new emblem with the nuts... Seems to me GM should have made the front the same??? I guess that would be to easy & make too much sense!!! Anyone help me out here???

I feel for you. When I replaced mine awhile back I discovered the emblem was attached with some pretty heavy-duty double-sided tape. It took some VERY careful prying with a thin plastic paint scraper and then a screwdriver to gently rock it up a little at a time. It left a few marks underneath, but the new one quickly covered that up.

Someone here may have a prettier way of getting this job done, but it ended up working for me.

If that's the case for your emblems too, I wish you steady hands and good luck!

my front emblem is stuck on with double sided tape from the factory.

I bought mine from the local Chevy dearlership. It had double sided tape and the nuts both. Five minute job. Maybe you should check with the dealership first.

3M makes a general purpose ahesive remover, once you pry the emblem off. But they can be a beast to get off. Once you get a part of it up, it will come off easier. I used a small screw driver, and got under it and lifted up. The double sided tape will be fine to hold the new emblem on.

Steal the wife's blowdryer when she is sleeping! .... but not too hot!

When I replaced on my 89, the old was attached with the aforementioned speednuts. I re-used them. No two sided tape.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom