Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hood light switch

BlueMan

Corvette
1999 Nassau Blue
Anyone know if there is an aftermarket hood light switch that snaps inline with the light power line & the harness to shut off the underhood light when you are showing the engine compartment at a cruise or a show. Unplugging it from the harness is a pain in the butt each time. Maybe I'm just lazy. Or does anyone know how to make one?

Thanks.

BlueMan said:
Anyone know if there is an aftermarket hood light switch that snaps inline with the light power line & the harness to shut off the underhood light when you are showing the engine compartment at a cruise or a show. Unplugging it from the harness is a pain in the butt each time. Maybe I'm just lazy. Or does anyone know how to make one?

Thanks.

Your underhood light is designed to automatically turn itself off (I believe 10 minutes). Try leaving your hood open, it should shut off without any mods.

Any simple switch from Radio Shack rated for 12v or more should do the trick. Put it in line with light power wire and voila!

Thats an interesting subject, makes me wanna dig out the service manual and go pop my hood. I'm sure we could come up with some ingenius place to mount this and have it look good as well as be functional.

68Roadster said:
Any simple switch from Radio Shack rated for 12v or more should do the trick. Put it in line with light power wire and voila!

Thats an interesting subject, makes me wanna dig out the service manual and go pop my hood. I'm sure we could come up with some ingenius place to mount this and have it look good as well as be functional.

I was hoping to find a switch with the same connectors as the light power feed with a switch rather than have to splice something in.
locating it so that it looks good is a great thought. I will have to pop the hood and start thinking about that.

BlueMan said:
I was hoping to find a switch with the same connectors as the light power feed with a switch rather than have to splice something in.
locating it so that it looks good is a great thought. I will have to pop the hood and start thinking about that.

Why not remove the bulb?

BlueMan said:
That would require disassembly of the light housing and possibly removal of the underhood heat blanket.

Nothing is easy on these Corvettes :ugh

Look into the light....

I've looked at this a couple of times and here's what I may end up doing.
First ya need the weatherpak connectors that the hood light has now (see pics), one male and one female. This way you can make a harness without destroying the factory ones.
There seems to be enough room inside the shroud shown to mount the switch and run the wires behind it (see red sqaure).
Take a look and see what ya think. I'll check pricing from Chevy on the connectors.

I can see the light !!!!

Thats a great idea you got there. I wonder if Eklers/MidAmerica would have these connectors ??? Mounting the switch could be as simple as using velco or 3M tape. I gotta figure a way to make it all look neat and factory like installed, Hmmmmm Hot pink wire loom might do the trick to hide the wires ??? Naaaaa maybe black would be a better choice, The Hot pink would clash with the other lime green wire loom in the engine compartment. ;-)

68Roadster said:
I've looked at this a couple of times and here's what I may end up doing.
First ya need the weatherpak connectors that the hood light has now (see pics), one male and one female. This way you can make a harness without destroying the factory ones.
There seems to be enough room inside the shroud shown to mount the switch and run the wires behind it (see red sqaure).
Take a look and see what ya think. I'll check pricing from Chevy on the connectors.

BlueMan said:
I can see the light !!!!

Thats a great idea you got there. I wonder if Eklers/MidAmerica would have these connectors ??? Mounting the switch could be as simple as using velco or 3M tape. I gotta figure a way to make it all look neat and factory like installed, Hmmmmm Hot pink wire loom might do the trick to hide the wires ??? Naaaaa maybe black would be a better choice, The Hot pink would clash with the other lime green wire loom in the engine compartment. ;-)

Blueman,
Actually I would take a dremel tool and cut a small square hole and pop the switch in. Otherwise you could manufacture a small bracket out of aluminum and bolt it down there some where.
Not sure about Ecklers, etc. having these weatherpak connectors. I'll call the local dealer tomrrow and advise ya.

BlueMan said:
I can see the light !!!!

Radio Shack has these small "project boxes" that you can mount the switch in and velcro the box to the car. They sell rubber gommets too. You can drill a hole in the box for the wire and add a grommet to make it really clean looking (and protect the wires too).

http://www.radioshack.com/search.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&find=project+box&hp=search&SRC=1

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-3025

WEATHER PACK CONNECTORS:
http://www.kayjayco.com/catPConnectors.htm

www.rockauto.com

https://www.casperselectronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Corvette

I hear ya but I'm reluctant to cut any holes in my baby. Any mods I've made are such that I can bring it right back to the day I picked it in the Museum.

I found a web site of a guy who makes custom harnesses with the weatherpack connectors. I emailed him telling him what I wanted to do. I will let you know when/if I hear from him.

68Roadster said:
Blueman,
Actually I would take a dremel tool and cut a small square hole and pop the switch in. Otherwise you could manufacture a small bracket out of aluminum and bolt it down there some where.
Not sure about Ecklers, etc. having these weatherpak connectors. I'll call the local dealer tomrrow and advise ya.

Yeah........ These parts would do the trick

Thanks !!!!!!

bluecoupe said:
Radio Shack has these small "project boxes" that you can mount the switch in and velcro the box to the car. They sell rubber gommets too. You can drill a hole in the box for the wire and add a grommet to make it really clean looking (and protect the wires too).

http://www.radioshack.com/search.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&find=project+box&hp=search&SRC=1

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-3025

WEATHER PACK CONNECTORS:
http://www.kayjayco.com/catPConnectors.htm

www.rockauto.com

https://www.casperselectronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Corvette

I picked up a GM harness today, 24.00 and I'm not even sure it's the righ thing.
It appears on my '04 that the harness is one piece from the lamp housing down to the connector on the rt side of the radiator. The GM parts book shows it as two pieces...
I'll check this one connector out tonite when I get home but I still need the female connector. The Kayjayco site might be the trick, I saw it the other nite when surfing for these.
I understand about cutting the shroud. There are several options, just depends on what ya wanna do.

BlueMan said:
Yeah........ These parts would do the trick

Thanks !!!!!!

I am going to put one together myself. I'll post photos when I finish it. I was planning on building this since the beginning of the winter because I don't like that hood-light turning on when I go to put my Battery Tender on the car. It just seems counter productive and an unneeded load on the battery tender.

IMHO. The best solution for the hood-light heat issue is to replace the lightbulb with a LED type bulb (instead of a regular incandesant bulb) with a broad color spectrum something like the LEDs that are built into the rearview mirror (map-lights). I am looking into that also. It will have to be bright enough to light the engine compartment while still staying cool and not drawing too much current (not usually an issue for LEDs). Of course you would then need to disassemble the hood-light and related parts to get to the hood-light bulb to replace it but most likely you only need to do it once. The LEDs should last for many many years.

Frank (bluecoupe)

BlueMan said:

Thanks.

Guess what...I know I saw a toggle switch and harness that Ecklers or Mid America made just for the under the hood light...and its easy to hook up..just look in one of the catalogs...its there somewhere or call Ecklers or Mid Americas toll free numbers and talk with them..they can help you I'm sure:beer

You're getting better, 04Torch... this thread was only started last month. :L

-Patrick

Patrick said:
You're getting better, 04Torch... this thread was only started last month. :L

-Patrick
=========================================================

bwahahahahaha...thats funny...I need to read the dates more....just trying to help people and I'm not focusing on the dates:L :beer ...but thats really funny Patrick...you must be following me like white on rice...now I know I have to behave.......:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom