Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Hooker Headers for 96 LT4

1996 LT4 Topic
F

Fugitive

I was considering purchasing Lingenfelters ceramic coated Hooker headers for my 96 LT4. I will be using the headers with my force II flow master exhaust system. I was wonder how difficult it is to install them? I notice my pullys and my AC pump could be obstructing the removal of the manifold. Just wondering if this is a big job? What would it cost at a shop or dealer? Thanks Scott

Those shorty headers are a breeze to install, manifold removal is easier than it looks.

A shop (god no, don't let the dealer do it, he will bend you over and search your stomach for cash) will probably charge you $300 to do the installation, when its really only a 40minute job for someone who knows what they are doing.

Long tubes are better, but some people (not me) prefer the ease of installation of shorties. Long tubes can be a hassle, especially on the LT1/LT4 since nobody makes a bolt up kit for them, and you have to fabricate alot or swap to a complete 91-prior exhaust system.

Thanks for the info. I wondered if those shorties were worth the money. Not much more horse power.

Yes fugitive, I've got Long tubes on mine. I used Hedman 1 5/8th headers with a 3 inch collector, a 3 inch y pipe leading to a 3 inch converter, with a 3 inch rear y-pipe that splits into 2 2.5 inch pipes, with 2.5 inch piping going to flommaster mufflers. I use O2 simulators for the rear O2 sensors. The cat was only 50 bucks from summit, so I'm gonna buy another one, bust it out, and dyno test the car with both cats on, and see which one is better.

That's cool Trance! You went all out on your exhaust. How loud is yours? I got the Flows on mine. Sounds good but I'm thinking about removing my resonator. Just a little to qiet. Your happy with the sound of your flows? Scott

I was happy with the flows at first, but like you said, they just aren't loud enough. I think they are made for most corvette owners, who are a little more reserved. I need louder. I'm doing the install on the setup I explained above on sunday. I just got the flows on right now. Afterwards, I'll decide if its loud enough. If not, I'll either go mufflerless (eliminator pipes) or gut the cat.

I'm crawling under the car today to put the O2 simulators on, and see how they work.

....later that day: Yes, the O2 Sims work fine. The car still runs strong, and no error codes.

Sounds good Trance! Let me know if you like the sound! But I bet if you eliminate the Cats it will sound the way you want. Converters are like extra sets of muflers. Later Scott

Fun this weekend. I installed my headers this weekend. They were alot more of a pain than my Camaro was. GM made some pretty hard to reach brackets for the catalytic converters. Anyway, for some odd reason, the front y-pipe I'm using didn't clear the Transmission, so I have to have a muffler shop extend it out for me and hook up the rest of the exhaust.

Well, not wanting to have a running car towed to a muffler shop, I decided to drive the 8 or so miles to Meineke with only the headers and collectors on the car :_rock . Loud Loud Loud!!!!
Good thing johnny law wasn't around. While I had only the headers on, I decided to grab the video camera, and tape myself doing a short burnout in the meineke parking lot. What the heck, its sunday and nobody is around. Double cool. Fun day, even more fun tommorow when the project is done and I can drive it further.

I posted the videos @ http://briefcase.yahoo.com/trance_lt4

Sounds tight! Can't wait to hear if like the way your system sounds when it's done! Smokin pavement!Scott

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Best sounding exhaust I've ever had, and I loved the way my 5.0 stang sounded without cats. Even with my 3 inch cat with its guts intact, it is still loud. Nice muscle scream on the way up, nice cackle on the way down.

This is the kinda exhaust alot of more "refined" corvette owners would think it too obnoxious and lacked "class", but for a bad-boy, its perfect.

That's what I'm talkin about! Let em hear it as while you Raz em as you pass em! That's cool! Glad your happy with the sound Cats and all! Scott

Y Pipe?

Just curious Trance. What kind of system did you put on it? I've never heard of a Y-pipe on a LT4. The duel exhaust pipes is the reason they came with 2 cats. I'm confused.
Also, I have hooker headers installed on mine with straight pipes fabricated to connect to the Flowmaster catback. Very loud. Nice. I kept the stock cats for emissions testing.
I would really like to see someone install shorty headers in 40 minutes. It takes longer than that to change the plugs.

Yo VetsVette what kind of flows you got on your LT4? I would like something louder but I got to keep my cats. That's probably why yours sounds nice and loud! Yeah and what's up with Trances Y pipe? I would never do that you want dual exhaust all the way back. I thought he ment y pipes from the collectors on each side to the 2.5 inch pipes. Who know? Scott

Most of my system is custom made. I used 3 inch collectors from summit with O2 sensor bungs in them to put on the back of my hedman headers, with a y pipe attached to that, one 3 inch cat, and a 3 inch in/ 2x2.5 inch out y pipe to connect to the flowmaster mufflers.

All my spark plug wires are labeled, so I just rip em off (so to speak) and get to the job when changing spark plugs or messing with the exhaust. It does take a lot longer to stop and do each plug individually when you're worried about not getting any wires crossed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom