Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Horn Button

Muzz

Corvette
1975, White Coupe
My horn works.....but only if I prompt the relay to close by applying a signal on the wire exiting the steering column in my '75 coupe. I don't remember if it is a +12v or a ground signal as I write this but I know the problem is not in anything outside of the steering column.

It may be my imagination but I seem to recall hearing something come loose and rattling down inside the column about the time the horn quit working soon after I purchased the car back in '85. I hesitate to rip off the horn button from the steering wheel for fear of busting it in order to investigate what has broken or fallen apart in there.

Recently, I have been running out of stuff to fix on my car so I purchased a horn repair kit from Ecklers. This kit is supposed to have most of the commonly needed repair items included to fix most of the things that go wrong in there but it came with no instructions.

Possibly someone here has experience with this dead horn problem and will advise me how to get in there without destroying my steering column in the process.

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.

Horn button pulls straight up and off. Got the AIM? The AIM will have a diagram of what you're going to be looking at at the horn contact.

:)

AIM? Sorry, that one didn't register...must be I don't have it.:confused:)

AIM...Assembly Instruction Manual...
how the vette was built by the factory

Oh yea, I have the assembly manual and it has been very helpful. Every Vette owner should have one.

I see the exploded view but am not sure just how far I have to tear this steering column down to get to where I can replace the horn parts. I was hoping to have a bit more guidance but the book doesn't provide the level of assistance I seem to require. LOL

Of course, once I have torn it down and fixed it, looking at the book again, it will be obvious.

Do I have to use a gear puller to remove the steering wheel to get at the horn parts?

If you remove the steering wheel, isn't the horn hardware right there? I recall it being pretty easy to access on my '80. Maybe it's different on a '75? ;shrug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom