Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Horn Contact Wire Question

3dale1

Corvette
65 convertible L-76
Hi guys,
Changing the horn button on my 85 today, and when I removed the old button, before I could grasp the wire and spade to separate them, the hollow tube which grabs and holds the spring loaded wire fell apart.

Old brittle plastic, I guess.:bang

Now I can't keep that wire in place; that plastic is damaged where the two wires lock into place. My question is, can I remove and replace that tube (with needlenose)?? Or do I risk the wire inside moving and grounding out against the steering column?

Thanks in advance, Joe

If memory serves me right that tube has a plastic plate underneath. I think the part is easily found.

I'm a newbe and just bought an 85 C-4. I need a horn to pass inspection. The center of the steering wheel is nothing but a big hole with a yellow wire sticking out. Any advise on where to get the whole assembly and tips on installation would be extremly helpful. Then all that would be left to pass inspection is fixing the parking brake!

I found the horn button in the console along with the plastic plate that rides underneath. If anyone could provide a photo or detailed diagram of how it all goes together that would be very helpful. Send me a link to a diagram, anything...as it's not in my Haynes manual.

Thanks!

Go to your local GM dealer they will show you the parts diagram. You need to get the plastic plate part anyway. It is very easy job. You will need a wheel puller and a lock ring compressor. Altho they arent mandatory it makes the job a lot easier. I have several manuals if you cant see what you need.

Hi guys, fixed it. Just in case you ever run into this problem, here's what you have to do:

Wheel has to come off. The little plastic tube receiver ONLY comes out from the back of the wheel. You'll need a couple of tiny flathead screwdrivers to depress the small tabs which hold it in place. While holding these tabs, push the tube through the wheel from the front to the back and it slides out. Just slide a new one in and you're done.

I took this piece off an old wheel I had, be careful not to break the tabs. They're in there pretty good, yet they are tiny. Somewhat of a PITA job for something so small.:eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom