Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hot center storage well...!

Vettewine

Corvette
'65 brandywine roadster; C5 Commemorative Edition
I noticed that my C5 center storage well was getting pretty warm on a cruise to Penticton, BC (Canada). We were on a wine tour and I stuck a couple of full bottles down in the center well to make more room for wine in the upper trunk area. Well, when I opened the well after the tour one of the bottles had completely "popped" the cork and the other was about halfway out. Both were very warm to the touch (not a good thing for wine :eyerole ) and the compartment was like a mini-oven. I never noticed this before putting on my Borla system but it doesn't seem to be installed any closer to the well than the original was. Anyone else have this problem and what can be done to insulate this area - jeez, the exhaust system practically surrounds it on all sides? :confused

Vettewine-
What year Corvette are you talking about? This is the C5 forum and your informations says that you have a '65 and a '53. Do I need to move this for you?

'53 C5...?

Take a look at my avatar - the '53 Commemorative Edition can only be made from a C5 and, besides, they won't let me play in the solid axle C1 forum...:L

I missed that! My center console isn't large enough to hold bottles of wine. That confused me, too.

Are you talking about the center storage well in the trunk? You could just pull up the carpet and lay down some dynamat. That should cut the heat way down, as well as to quiet down the borlas, when you have the top up. Shouldn't take more than a couple hours to do dynamat the trunk only.

This post is getting better by the minute. I have my factory 12 disc CD player located in the center storage compartment of the trunk. I also have a Borla Stinger exhaust system. I can honestly say that I never encountered a high heat issue in that compartment. On the other hand, the center storage compartment inside the car, located between the seats, does get very warm as a result of heat from the exhaust pipes.

Remo:cool

Remo said:
This post is getting better by the minute. I have my factory 12 disc CD player located in the center storage compartment of the trunk. I also have a Borla Stinger exhaust system. I can honestly say that I never encountered a high heat issue in that compartment. On the other hand, the center storage compartment inside the car, located between the seats, does get very warm as a result of heat from the exhaust pipes.

Remo:cool

I've got Stingers too Remo. And while I've never stuck my hand in the well to test temperatures, I do know that my factory 12 disc gets a lot pickier about home burned CDs when it's hot out. So I'm guessing there is some heat build up in the well.

My hatch area is not a real issue for me but my center console was... So I bought thin bubble aluminium wrapped insulation from the Home Depot and insulated the entire center console area or trans tunnel. Worked great and cut the heat way down. The only heat now is from my shifter boot.

Sorry about the confusion...

I'm sorry for the confusion I caused but what I was referring to is the center "hatch" storage area under the trunk area. Yes, that's where my 12-CD changer is located also and I'm thinking that I will try the dynamat (where do you find that?) or the small bubble aluminum wrap under the carpeting. That just may do the trick as it would be too logistically complicated to try to insulate the outside underneath the vehicle. :confused

My center console (between the driver and passenger seats) is also hot but I only put my garage door opener and other "small" stuff in there as there's no room for wine! :crazy

Thanks for the great responses! :beer

Vettewine-
There is a product at Lowe's in the furnace duct area called Frost King. It is a dense foam, about 1/8" thick with a mild adhesive on one side and a foil backing on the other. I did my whole Z06 for about $100-$150, if I remember correctly.

Hot center "hatch"...

DRTH VTR said:
Vettewine-
There is a product at Lowe's in the furnace duct area called Frost King. It is a dense foam, about 1/8" thick with a mild adhesive on one side and a foil backing on the other. I did my whole Z06 for about $100-$150, if I remember correctly.

Did you put in inside the compartment or under the vehicle?

Are you done now? I can't take any more wineing!

Sorry ... I won't do that again, I promise! I think.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom