Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How About A Happy 53 Thread???

Golden53

Let's change the tone a bit....I normally don't post much on CAC, but I figured we could use a break from the other threads about 53s.

To celebrate my birthday, I decided to play hooky from work today. I drove 53 #276 (full disclosure - vin # matches frame #, but I can only document car back to July 1957) to Stinson Beach. My goal was to find the spot my dad took some pictures from back in August 1957. I took some pics of my 53 near the spot, one of which is attached. One of my dad's pics from 57 is attached as well.

My 53 is probably my all time favorite car to drive. Upgraded engine (261 block generates 195hp), 4 speed, 57 hood and trunk, 4 track tape deck, quick steering adapter, and all sorts of do-dads. The car has at least 325k miles on it, and a no-hit body. The history of the car is here: 1953 #276.

I drive the car everywhere. I refreshed the car mechanically, and have taken several 200 mile plus roadtrips (including a visit to Noland Adams). The car runs great. And I can probably fix most of the things that will go wrong with #276 (the early cars are incredibly easy to work on).

I could make some good cash by restoring #276. But once restored, it will never be a daily driver again.

If you owned #276, would you follow your wallet and restore the car or follow you heart and drive it like you stole it?

Russ

53Seadrift.jpg

57Seadrift.jpg

I vote heart and drive it like you stole it! :thumb

rtcofast.jpg

Same trip (but a few days later):

mh02.jpg

IMO, if GM had intended for these cars to be Trailer Queens and Garage Candy there would have been an option for 4 electric motors (1 at each wheel) and engine delete!

PS: Happy birthday!

Happy birthday... and they were built to drive, not hide in a garage... :upthumbs

-Mac

Russ, you have a nice looking car. You enjoy driving the car and if you restore it you said you would not drive it. That would be sad. Do you still have the original hood and trunk?

Happy B-Day too! :thumb I would drive the wheels off of it. The car and you appreciate it that way more.

I drive mine all the time and folks call me nuts. But my 58 and I bond. I get better at anticipating turns and appreciating a 51 year old car that will run right along with the newer stuff. (just not as comfortable)

I can't wait to get back into it and hate to get out of it! Keeps the car young too. My leaks have diminished or stopped altogether since I have been driving her.

Keep on having fun. Too many people who own these cars put the emphasis on owning not DRIVING.

:beer

Fred

I agree with Fred. :w Before I got the 54 Corvette it had only been driven seventeen miles in 4 years. The drip pans are almost dry now. Drive the car, enjoy the car.

I could make some good cash by restoring #276. But once restored, it will never be a daily driver again.

If you owned #276, would you follow your wallet and restore the car or follow you heart and drive it like you stole it?

Russ

What a fantastic first post and stunning photo of a Classic Beauty!

I, too, vote Follow Your Heart!! She's meant to be driven and enjoyed and she'd never understand if you packed her away now after so many years of freedom and companionship.

Thanks for sharing the photo, Russ! And welcome to the Corvette Action Center!

Oh, and :birth

:wJane Ann

I drive mine all the time and folks call me nuts. But my 58 and I bond. I get better at anticipating turns and appreciating a 51 year old car that will run right along with the newer stuff. (just not as comfortable)
Fred

Fred, would you mind posting a larger photo of your '58?? I love the color combo on yours and would love to see a larger photo.

Right On Time, Russ

Excellent timing, Russ. Happy Bday BTW. Drive the car and enjoy it. You'll NEVER enjoy the driving experience you enjoy today IF you restore it.

:w

The world doesn't need another perfectly restored '53 to hide away in a trailer. The modifications to your car are very tasteful. I hope you continue to drive and enjoy it.

P.S. Don't let Bill's scofflaw behavior corrupt you when driving your '53. I'm referring to the speedo photo.:D

Tom

Fred, would you mind posting a larger photo of your '58?? I love the color combo on yours and would love to see a larger photo.

I would be happy to Jane Ann....here you go!

Freds58front.jpg

And here is one with the repro Halibrands...

Bleau58side.jpg

If you need some more, just let me know! :thumb

Fred

I met the owner of the 53 #66 that was restored within the last year or two, I believe that he is the second owner and he drives it like he stole it !

Gary:thumb

I drove my '53 like I stole it (in 1959) after painting it black and dropping a 6-71-blown Buick nailhead V-8 in it (ran mid-12's, which was good stuff in '60-'61) :). Sold it in '61, have no idea where it is now.

20027917333-4-53VetInt.jpg

As my nephew says, Way Cool!

Thanks Fred! I do love that color combo!

Thanks alot Jane Ann for the compllments....your screen name is the same as the plate on our Cadillac XLR...Sorry for the thread hijack.

XLR002.jpg

Regards,
Fred

I drove my '53 like I stole it (in 1959) after painting it black and dropping a 6-71-blown Buick nailhead V-8 in it (ran mid-12's, which was good stuff in '60-'61) :). Sold it in '61, have no idea where it is now.

20027917333-4-53VetInt.jpg

John, what vin # was your 53?

Thanks
Brett

I vote heart and drive it like you stole it! :thumb

rtcofast.jpg

Same trip (but a few days later):

mh02.jpg

IMO, if GM had intended for these cars to be Trailer Queens and Garage Candy there would have been an option for 4 electric motors (1 at each wheel) and engine delete!

PS: Happy birthday!

Thanks SebringBill. I love the pic of the speedo - very impressive. I don't think I will ever get my 53 over 100mph. And, unfortunately, the speedo on my 57 doesn't work (I just use the tach).

Russ

57Sears.jpg

Thanks for all the posts and good wishes.

I have no desire to restore 53 #276. I would probably sell it rather than restore it actually. But I intend to keep it for a long time and just drive the heck out of it.

I am fascinated by the comments I receive when I park it somewhere. 50% of the people like the car just as it is - with heavy "patina". And the other 50% look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them that I don't plan to restore the car. Even my kids think the car is ugly.

I need to do something about the driver's seat. The 56 year old seat has gone every single one of the 300k plus miles. The seat is held together by red duct tape, which is hidden by a sheepskin cover which is falling apart as well. I might redo the driver's seat and then put a fresh sheepskin on it so the new seat does not clash with the original passenger seat. The seats feature a prototype stitching job (just kidding, guys), as you can see from the attached pic.

Where is the best place to buy a 53-54 seat cover by the way?

Thanks,

Russ

53Seat.jpg

John, what vin # was your 53?

Thanks
Brett

I've moved about 12 times in the almost 50 years since I sold it, so the paperwork disappeared decades ago, but as I recall, it was in the mid-30's; wasn't important back then. I bought it off a used car lot with some right front fender damage for $800 in 1959.

I sold the engine and Powerglide to a buddy for $25.00 to put in his dad's truck, so somewhere there is (or was) an old Chevy pickup with a Corvette Blue-Flame six in it. :)

I've moved about 12 times in the almost 50 years since I sold it, so the paperwork disappeared decades ago, but as I recall, it was in the mid-30's; wasn't important back then. I bought it off a used car lot with some right front fender damage for $800 in 1959.

I sold the engine and Powerglide to a buddy for $25.00 to put in his dad's truck, so somewhere there is (or was) an old Chevy pickup with a Corvette Blue-Flame six in it. :)

Are you still in touch with the buddy? Might be worth trying to track down that engine and trans.

I love the idea of a blown buick in a 53 Corvette. Too cool. :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom