Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How Can I tell what model corvette do I have?

All D36 housings and axles are the same.

What's different are the ring-and-pinion set and the diff carrier.

To put 3.07s in a rear with 2.59s, you must change the gears and replace the 2-series diff housing with a 3-series.

For a stock or near stock automatic, the D36 and 3.07s will make a fine upgrade from the 2.59s.

My first vette was a 1988 auto with 2.59 axle. I looked into upgrade options and found them all of very expensive. I ended up selling my 1988 for what I paid for it, and purchased a 1989 auto with the desirable 3.07 axle (this was a must have in my books). Regarding the 1988, the lowest cost upgrade option was a used 3.07 differential from a parts vette. My local vette shop recommended against a D36 to D44 upgrade for a street driven car. I do not consider the Dana 36 a "weak" differential. It holds up perfectly fine with street driven automatics, including those who are pumping 300-350 HP out of modified L98s. If you drag race, add wider tires or racing slicks, then all bets are off. A manual transmission is harder on the power train and the Dana 44 is a better match.

TedC;1077564[COLOR=#222222 said:
I do not consider the Dana 36 a "weak" differential. It holds up perfectly fine with street driven automatics, including those who are pumping 300-350 HP out of modified L98s. [/COLOR]
I agree
I was just pointing out that if he was going to spend $800 on a gear change he could get the D44 for very little more and be future proof should he go any Hp upgrades later

Thankss vetteoz and Ted and Hib, I'm gonna talk to my mechanic today and see how much he can install teh gears for me, I'm not gonna lie, if I could avoid a major project like installing a new rear or just the gears and pins, id ratehr just do the gears. Last year it took me 3 weeks(in a week i used about 3-4 hoursof my spare time) installing headders, and wow i came across soo many problems, I did more fabricating than then ever! I just dont want to miss another summer installing these things and next thing you know its fall/winter

Even though I've never done this, I understand that swapping the complete rear end, might be less work. ;shrug

Even though I've never done this, I understand that swapping the complete rear end, might be less work. ;shrug
:thumb

A backyard mechanic with a floor jack and couple of jack stands could swap out the batwing / head assembly in less than a day ( inc beers ).I can pull the batwing in about 2 hrs.
You don't have to remove the suspension; just unbolt parts to drop out the batwing
You have to exactly the same to get the diff head out for a gear swap , then pay someone to set the gears up

Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums - View Single Post - How to swap a C-4 rearend

http://webpages.charter.net/khasting/images/parts/93.gif

I see what you guys are saying, the Dana 36 rear will work with the 3.07 gears, but its suggested to use the Dana 44 because its durability, which makes sense. I'm not running drag radials, or slicks and with the "durability" in the Dana 36 I'm assuming it doesnt matter its just the matter of stress on the rear. Correct? :ugh

:thumb

A backyard mechanic with a floor jack and couple of jack stands could swap out the batwing / head assembly in less than a day ( inc beers ).I can pull the batwing in about 2 hrs.
You don't have to remove the suspension; just unbolt parts to drop out the batwing
You have to exactly the same to get the diff head out for a gear swap , then pay someone to set the gears up

http://webpages.charter.net/khasting/images/parts/93.gif

That has been my understanding.

its suggested to use the Dana 44 because its durability,
What I am saying is do the pricing before you commit to swapping the D36 gears because a gear swap might put you close to the price of bolting in D44

SO I took my corvette for a drive(in overdrive) and just wanted to point out that my first gear goes to 20mph then shifts to 2nd. Is there a way to "feel" what gear goes into what RPM in a shift. I'm only asking because I had this car for almost 2 years and I dont know what rear it has, I'm not saying it doesnt have the stock, but I just want to make sure

What I am saying is do the pricing before you commit to swapping the D36 gears because a gear swap might put you close to the price of bolting in D44

Thanks vetteoz :thumb Just so you know I do take your advice and it is VERY helpful. I hope I dont ask to many stupid questions or get to selfish and I appreciate your time

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom