Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How I detailed my engine bay

B17Crew

Corvette
96 LT4 Polo Green/Light Beige Interior
Here are a few pics of my engine compartment (52,000 miles).

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0382-1.jpg

B17Crew
:w

My ’96 served as a daily driver for eight years, that includes 8 years of Ohio winters, (and the salt) and Ohio downpours. It has been a labor of love getting my ’96 to its current condition. All parts are original and have not been replaced, except battery/tires. So... it is possible to bring a driven Corvette to very good condition. It just takes time. I’m still not finished detailing my car, I try to get to it whenever I can.

I wanted to mention that you can use Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish on surfaces like your alternator and AC compressor. It also does a nice job on aluminum suspension pieces and any aluminum tubing.

Use a cotton rag and rub into the surface, then, wipe with a clean cotton towel. You will see the shine start to come back! I’ve used a toothbrush before to help scrub in tight spots, you have to watch that the product doesn’t “fling” off the brush though.

Try not to get it on rubber or plastic, as it will leave a white film if not immediately tended too; just like car wax on black painted surfaces would do. You could tape off areas that you want to protect also. You may even be able to use it on your manifold. Best to test in an inconspicuous space before using it on the manifold.

On all rubber hoses and ribbed plastic conduit, I’ve been using Meguires Natural Shine, Vinyl & Rubber Protectant. I spray it onto a soft cotton cloth, apply liberally and let it soak in. Remove excess so that it’s not shinny. I try to keep my engine compartment looking “as delivered”, not the greasy, high gloss, used car detailed look.

For things like your black plastic fuel rail covers... First clean them with dish detergent and a toothbrush. Then, thoroughly rinse with water and let air dry. They looked pretty good after this and did not require any dressing.

Note, the driver side cover has clips that you must carefully remove so that they do not break. Gently remove the driver side fuel rail cover. As you lift it upwards, you can begin to turn it over so that you can see the two pins that secure the attached cable. Remember to be gentle with them!

You could try 303 Aerospace Protectant on your interior rubber/plastic pieces. It leaves a clean “new” look without having a greasy appearance. It also helps prevent UV fade damage.

Links to products/photo of product mentioned above:

Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish (Picture of 5 oz can)
It’s the sixth product as you scroll down.
http://www.mothers.com/products/productcatalog/wheelprod.html

Mothers web site:Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish
http://www.mothers.com/products/

Meguiars Natural Shine & Rubber Protectant
http://www.meguiars.com/?home-vinyl-rubber-care/Natural-Shine-Vinyl-Rubber-Protectant

303 Aerospace Protectant
http://www.303products.com/tech/ind...&Product_ID=428&CFID=3477374&CFTOKEN=57239231

B17Crew

Thanks! :upthumbs
I appreciate the compliment.

B17Crew

WOW - awesome job !

I'll be heading out to get some Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish tonight !

I've been trying to figure how to clean the alternator and AC compressor

Thanks !

You've done a great job! The car looks even better than new! :)

Thanks for sharing your preferences...I always like to try any product that seems to do a better job than whatever I'm using.

Elaine

My thanks to all of you for the compliments! I can’t wait till I have some free time so I can keep on detailing my ’96.

B17Crew

P.S. I leanred of 303 Aerospace Protectant from GS Diva! Thanks, again!

Wow!!!

The results of your dedication are impressive!

So, what would you recommend cleaning the engine bay with? Spray bottles and brushes? Mine is filthy with the exception of the TPI.

Wow!!!

The results of your dedication are impressive!

So, what would you recommend cleaning the engine bay with? Spray bottles and brushes? Mine is filthy with the exception of the TPI.

Thanks, DarkShark!

If you have time, working with spray bottles and brushes are a safe approach to cleaning the engine bay. Cleaning with a small a brush is great for keeping your focus on an area, it keeps you meticulous. If you want to really get your engine compartment back up to snuff, this approach will lead you to every nook and cranny. It takes mountains of time, but it’s easier to keep your compartment clean after a thorough detailing.

You sure will get to know your engine compartment cleaning with brushes and Q-Tips!

Happy detailing!

B17Crew

Crew,

You've done an incredible job and thanks for sharing the photos and tips with us! I hope to one day have enough time to make mine look at least similar to that. :L

:wJane Ann

Crew,

You've done an incredible job and thanks for sharing the photos and tips with us! I hope to one day have enough time to make mine look at least similar to that. :L

:wJane Ann

Thanks XLRA, your vert is a real head turner!

Time is what it takes to get a car looking clean. The hard part is trying to find the all so elusive, “free time”.

B17Crew

Thanks again for the tips B17Crew.

I have been playing with the Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish ever since.

I even tryed it on the stock exhaust since it is visible from the rear.

100_3554.jpg

Thanks again for the tips B17Crew.

I have been playing with the Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish ever since.

I even tryed it on the stock exhaust since it is visible from the rear.

100_3554.jpg

MARKSC4

That looks great, they shined up really well!

You can hit your rear suspension pieces too with the Mothers!

On you spare tire caddy, you can use the Meguiars Natural Shine & Rubber Protectant. Once you do a few applications, it starts to look showroom new. You want to wipe off any excess so the surface doesn’t become a dust collector.

I have the stock exhaust system on my car, what I’ve found works on keeping the black mufflers up to snuff is using fine sandpaper on the black paint to remove the inevitable rust that starts to form. Then, thoroughly wash the residual dust off and let air dry. Use a mask when sanding, you don’t want anything going into your lungs that’s not supposed to be there.

Once the exhaust tips are dry, mask off the underside and sides of your Corvette. Use a high temperature matt black paint on the exhaust tips (I use paint that’s rated to 1,500°). This makes your tips look just like new. The most time consuming part is doing a good mask off of the underside of the car. I use newspaper and Saran wrap. It takes a long while, but the back of your Corvette will look as if you stepped back in time and are picking it up from the dealer for its first drive home.

I make every effort to keep my Corvette in OEM condition. Painting the mufflers takes away from the OEM paint, but I can’t stand to not have the them looking their best. The back of the C4 reveals many of the rear under carriage components to people behind you. This extra effort keeps the back end beautiful!

Happy Detailing!

B17Crew

Crew, that engine compartment looks amazing, my friend!!!! Great job!!! Also, thanks for the tip on the Mothers polish. I always wanted to get the alternator cleaned up on my C5 but never thought of the Mothers. I'll try it on my C6.

Thanks again!!

great job, hats off to you. the engine compartment looks great.

Crew that is really nice. I will be using some of your tips to get my 96 lt4 ready for the car show here that our business helps sponser in september.Any body wax preferance? Thanks Kevin.

Crew, that engine compartment looks amazing, my friend!!!! Great job!!! Also, thanks for the tip on the Mothers polish. I always wanted to get the alternator cleaned up on my C5 but never thought of the Mothers. I'll try it on my C6.

Thanks again!!

You’re welcome, Chrisr!

Mothers polish does a nice job of giving your Corvette that well preserved look.

B17Crew

great job, hats off to you. the engine compartment looks great.

Thanks, Phill. It’s almost as much fun detailing these beauties as it is driving them... well, that last part may be stretch.

B17Crew

Crew that is really nice. I will be using some of your tips to get my 96 lt4 ready for the car show here that our business helps sponser in september.Any body wax preferance? Thanks Kevin.

Thanks for the compliment and good luck with the car show!

Wax is a pretty subjective chioice. It’s probably one of the top 10 topics of debate here on the CAC. :L

My personal preferance is Zaino products:
http://www.zainostore.com.

The intial steps are time consuming, but after that, it’s a breeze to keep and maintain the paint.

Many here have said good things about Adams:
http://www.adamspolishes.com

I have not yet tried it on any of my vehilces, but it is mentioned favorably here on the CAC quite often.

Let us know how the show goes!

B17Crew

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom