Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How I ended up with my LT4

BC72067

Corvette
1996 LT4
Here is how I ended up with my LT4. I work in the oilfield. The company I work for has gone safety ballistic. I have had a company truck for 8 of the nine years I work for them. My company truck is a 2015 Ford F250 CNG Super Duty. Due to the recent drop in natural gas and oil prices they they are cutting coners everywhere. They recently bought a large intrest in a play in West Viginia and have been talking about sending a large portion of our fleet there, and since I primarily work in a field office now my truck is more than likely on the list to go. With that taken into consideration, and some of the things they are handing down will happen I decided time to buy a car to drive to work.So I started looking at used cars to drive back, and forth when I didn't fill like riding a Harley, or it was raining and I didn't want to show up for work wet. I was thinking I could pick something up for 3k to 4k that would work for the 30 minute commute. The reality I found is that up to the 7000 - 8000 price range I was looking at something with 140,000 plus mile on it. To get under 100,000 miles I was looking at least 9k. To get under 90,000 was going to be 12k plus, and be something I wouldn't want to be caught dead in.

I happened to log on to the dealer's website where I bought my wife's GMC 2500 a couple of years ago for her for Christmas, and my company buys it's trucks from. I did one of those used searches low to high price, and here thay came all those compact cars you buy for a kid. I was scrolling down the page and there it was for 10900. It has 80k on it but has been taken care of very well. I went down to look at it and take it for a test drive at which point I got to see the carfax which was good.

The first thing I noticed was the rear tires were low which I mentioned to the salesman that was working with us. He blew it off. That came back to bite him the next day. We haggled and worked the deal during which I told him several times to get the air in those tires. It didn't happen. The guy was a jerk and couldn't even manage to put the temp tag on the car. My wife endded up getting pissed off at him and pulling the front plate off her truck she used the hardwear, and put the tag on herself. So I sign the dotted line and we go home.

That night temps got down in the low teens which doesn't do anything to help low tire preassure. The next morning I was up at 5:00 and on the road by 5:30. Yes I was in the vette. My intention was to get to work, take it to our mobile shop, and add air to the tires. What happened is that at about the halfway point to the yard one of the tires gave up the ghost. That happened just before 6am. I had to sit there ontil 8 when the dealer opened because I wasn't going to pay one dime to fix the situation. They sent a flatbed wrecker and picked up the car. It showed up at 10:30 by which time the e flashers had run the battery down and the car wouldn't start and I was getting colder and madder by the minute. When all was said and done my wife picked me up, and we followed the wrecker to the dealer which they payed for the wrecker. Due to the fact I do business with them, my company does bysiness with them, and alot of our employees have bought from them they were more than willing to fix the issuse. So they ordered new rear tires. It is gettine a new battery, and an issue that was suppose to be fixed with the parking break is going to be taken care of. So tomorrow I will be taken the 45minute ride with my wife down there to pick up my vette again.

Last edited:
I just got an update from the service department and not going to get it back until Tuesday. Looks like they are going to replace the entire ebrake system and the parts wont be in until Monday or Tuesday morning. It has the new tires and battery in it already. I wonder what the comission is going to be off this sale.;LOL

PITA but at least they are making it good for you.

Btw, nice choice for a daily driver.

Also, when I checked out the pictures, it looks like the left front tire is not mounted correctly.
Is your car Z51? What are the tire sizes?

Last edited:
PITA but at least they are making it good for you.

Btw, nice choice for a daily driver.

Also, when I checked out the pictures, it looks like the left front tire is not mounted correctly.
Is your car Z51? What are the tire sizes?

Agreed it is good they are making it right. I think it probably doesn't hurt that they know who I work for, and that they have bought a few hundred trucks from them. Not probabbly the most ethical way of looking at it, but the facts.

As far as the tire size not sure. Z51 probably not. The day I bought it I got off work drove home, jumped in my wifes truck with her and drove an hour down there. They called that the car wasn't there yet so I went to the Harley shop until they called that it was there. I got there at 5pm, took it for a short test drive, haggled for awhile signed the papers and got home at 10pm. The rest happend the following morning. So it was flatbedded back to the dealer. When I actually get it home Tuesday and get to veiw it for a couple of hours in the daylight I will hopefully know a little more.

The pics I have right now are from the ad they had. I will be shooting a bunch next week with my Nikon digital and replace those I have on here now.

Tire might not be mounted right. Like I said will know more Tuesday. My harleys I know. The vette I will have to learn.

With the info I have on hand at the moment I came up with this. USA, GM, Chevrolet, Corvette, ZR1, Coupe, Restraints=Front, Engine LT4, random #, 1996, Made in Bowling Green

VIN1G1YY225XT5104866Vehicle Accidents/ServiceGet Vehicle History Report NOW
Year1996Engine Type5.7L V8 OHV 16V
MakeChevroletDrivelinerear-wheel drive
ModelCorvetteGround Clearancein.
Trim LevelCoupeFront Brake TypeDisc
Manufactured InUNITED STATESRear Brake TypeDisc
Body StyleCOUPE 2-DRAnti-Brake System4-Wheel ABS
Transmission6-Speed Manual Overdrive or
4-Speed Automatic Overdrive
Standard Seating2
MPG Hwy25 - 27 miles/gallonOptional Seating
MPG City16 - 17 miles/gallonTires255/45R17
Dealer InvoiceUSDWheelbase96.20 in.
MSRP$37,225 USDCurb Weight3307 lbs

Trim LevelCoupeManufactured inUNITED STATES
Body StyleCOUPE 2-DREngine Type5.7L V8 OHV 16V
Drivelinerear-wheel driveTank20.00 gallon
City MPG16 - 17 miles/gallonHighway MPG25 - 27 miles/gallon
Anti-Brake System4-Wheel ABSSteering TypeR&P
Front Brake TypeDiscRear Brake TypeDisc
Turning Diameter in.Front SuspensionInd
Rear SuspensionIndFront Spring TypeTorsion Bar
Rear Spring TypeLeafTires255/45R17
Front Headroom36.50 in.Rear Headroom in.
Front Legroom42.00 in.Rear Legroom in.
Front Shoulder Room53.90 in.Rear Shoulder Room in.
Front Hip Room49.30 in.Rear Hip Room in.
Curb Weight3307 lbsCurb Weight3264 lbs
Overall Length178.50 in.Overall Width70.70 in.
Overall Height46.30 in.Wheelbase96.20 in.
Ground Clearance in.Track Front57.70 in.
Track Rear59.10 in.Cargo Length in.
Width at Wheelwell in.Width at Wall in.
Depth in.Standard Seating2
Optional SeatingPassenger Volume cu.ft.
Cargo Volume cu.ft.Standard Towing lbs
Maximum Towing lbsStandard Payload lbs
Maximum Payload lbsStandard GVWR lbs
Maximum GVWR lbsWarranty Duration month
Warranty Distance milePowertrain Warranty Duration month
Powertrain Warranty Distance mileRust-duration month
Rust-distance mileMSRP$37,225 USD
Dealer Invoice USDDestination Charge USD
Child Safety Door LocksLocking Pickup Truck Tailgate
Power Door LocksStandardVehicle Anti-Theft
4WD/AWDABS BrakesStandard
Automatic Load-LevelingElectronic Brake Assistance
Limited Slip DifferentialLocking Differential
Traction ControlVehicle Stability Control System
Driver AirbagStandardFront Side Airbag
Front Side Airbag with Head ProtectionPassenger AirbagStandard
Side Head Curtain AirbagSecond Row Side Airbag
Second Row Side Airbag with Head ProtectionElectronic Parking Aid
First Aid KitTrunk Anti-Trap Device
Keyless EntryRemote Ignition
Air ConditioningStandardSeparate Driver/Front Passenger Climate Controls
Cruise ControlStandardTachometerStandard
Tilt SteeringStandardTilt Steering Column
Heated Steering WheelLeather Steering Wheel
Steering Wheel Mounted ControlsTelescopic Steering Column
Adjustable Foot PedalsGenuine Wood Trim
Tire Pressure MonitorTrip Computer
AM/FM RadioCassette PlayerStandard
CD PlayerCD Changer
DVD PlayerVoice Activated Telephone
Navigation AidSecond Row Sound Controls
SubwooferTelematics System
Driver Multi-Adjustable Power SeatFront Cooled Seat
Front Heated SeatFront Power Lumbar Support
Front Power Memory SeatFront Split Bench Seat
Leather SeatStandardPassenger Multi-Adjustable Power Seat
Second Row Folding SeatSecond Row Heated Seat
Second Row Multi-Adjustable Power SeatSecond Row Removable Seat
Third Row Removable SeatCargo Area Cover
Cargo Area TiedownsCargo Net
Load Bearing Exterior RackPickup Truck Bed Liner
Power SunroofRemovable Top
Manual SunroofAutomatic Headlights
Daytime Running LightsFog Lights
High Intensity Discharge HeadlightsPickup Truck Cargo Box Light
Running BoardsFront Air Dam
Rear SpoilerSkid Plate
Splash GuardsWind Deflector for Convertibles
Power Sliding Side Van DoorPower Trunk Lid
Alloy WheelsStandardChrome Wheels
Full Size Spare TireRun Flat Tires
Steel WheelsPower WindowsStandard
Electrochromic Exterior Rearview MirrorGlass Rear Window on Convertible
Heated Exterior MirrorElectrochromic Interior Rearview Mirror
Power Adjustable Exterior MirrorDeep Tinted Glass
Interval WipersRain Sensing Wipers
Rear Window DefoggerStandardRear Wiper
Sliding Rear Pickup Truck WindowTow Hitch Receiver
Towing Preparation Package

Last edited:
Thanks!! My wife is calling it my banana on oreos. She said its our vette. To bad only one of us knows how to drive a standard.:happyanim:

To bad only one of us knows how to drive a standard.:happyanim:

Breaks your heart, doesn't it:rotfl Same issue here, wife can't drive a stick and appreciate that. She's damaged every single vehicle at some time she's ever gotten behind the wheel of.

Breaks your heart, doesn't it:rotfl Same issue here, wife can't drive a stick and appreciate that. She's damaged every single vehicle at some time she's ever gotten behind the wheel of.

We came to an understanding when we got together when she is talking about our vehicles, those bikes in my Derksin Building aren't our Harleys they are mine.:L I gave her the 03 Dodge 1500 I had at the time when my son totalled her car, and traded it in the Christmas before last for her GMC Sierra 2500. That is her vehicle. I have maybe driven it 5 times. No big deal I bought it for her, and would rather be on my RoadKing if I have a choice. I will let her call the vette ours, but she knows it's mine. When we were at the dealers and in the process of deciding whether to go ahead and get the vette she said,' If you want it get it I can tell it is giving you a hardon.":rotfl So I got me a vette.;LOL

Last edited:

Attachments

• 0wstca.jpg
    0wstca.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Well I picked the car back up at lunch today. The guy hadn't delevered the parking break yet because of the dusting of snow in Arkansas, but the new tires were on the rear. They said they would call when the other parts were in and install them.

So far this much I know the stock stereo is gone it was replaced with a JVC KD-A805, The amp in the box behind the passengers seat is an Alpine MRP-F300. It has a bunch of speaker wires running out of it, but so far the only sound I have heard coming out of anything is the Bose in the hatchback. I really am not sure where the other speakers would be. I downloaded the 152 page manual for the stereo to try and figure out how to fade and balance it hoping to figure out what else is in there and what is missing. I did that after I got home and the sun went down.

I called the wife on the way home and told her to be ready when I got there so we could go for a drive. Hung up with her and played around to kind of get a fill for what it could do. It conners very well and on a straight stretch at 2k rpm in 6th I discovered she is running 83-85 with a lot of leg left under her.

Picked up the wife and put about 70 miles in. For the most part I took it easy. I guess now I just read and go through her a little at a time and figure out what needs to be fixed and go from there.

Last edited:
Congrats, look under the glove box lid it will have a spif tag with all the options that were ordered on it. you can decode them here. On a 96 I think its under the rear compartment lid.

Corvette Action Center | Research Center | C4 Corvette | 1996 Corvette | 1996 Corvette Production Numbers

like this

View attachment 20787

There is no glove box or any place where one has been. On the passengers side just the airbag in the dash. Now that it is back home I looked. I have a console no sticker in it. The only other comartments I have found so far are the one in the hatchback behind the passengers seet with the amp in it with no sticker, and the one with the ABS pump behind the drivers seat with no sticker in it. On the drivers door is the GVRW stickers. I went for a drive today after work so I will have to do some more investigating tomorrow.

Last edited:
Well I went outside with a flash light looking for a glove box. This car never had one unless it is somekind of magic combination behind the row of vents on the passegers side across the dash. If you pull on anything there you will be putting one of the vent covers back on you just pulled off. So I'm guessing no spif sticker.

On a up note I turned the key and stereo on and was able to adjust the fade, loud mode, and balance and discovered that there are speakers in the front. So things are looking up there.

Sorry for the confusion, I refer to the storage compartments behind the seats as a glove box as they removed the one from the dash and replaced it with an airbag in 94. It should be in the one behind the passenger seat and visible when you open the lid. If someone has removed it you can get a copy of the build sheet and window sticker from the National Corvette Museum.

DSC02248.jpg

It's no big deal. I thought about having the dealer getting me the build and window sticker when I take it back to get the parking break fixed when the part shows up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom