Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: how much

Dad2

Corvette
1978 pace
i have 1978 c3 how much horse power can i make with any troubles in drive train
Thanks

As long as the drivetrain is in good shape (rear end, driveshafts, tranny etc.) 400+ should be no problem. But a 1978 L-48 or L82 will take a few dollars to reach 400 hp +. A crate engine might just be you answer for added hp, but any added hp = $$$$.

As long as the drivetrain is in good shape (rear end, driveshafts, tranny etc.) 400+ should be no problem. But a 1978 L-48 or L82 will take a few dollars to reach 400 hp +. A crate engine might just be you answer for added hp, but any added hp = $$$$.

I am not sure about drivetrain...I bought it last Feb..and have only put 400 miles on it...It has 80,000 miles on it a big block might be the way to go and run a milder cam ..this summer i will replace all front chassis parts, i see it has a fiberglass spring in rear...and i bet the rear bearings need grease, or is it best to pull rear hubs and inspect bearings...was told to replace parking brake springs with stainless springs
I am new to corvettes...this is my first
Thanks

Before you try to take the rear assy. apart to grease, read up on it. It is much more involved on these cars than on on a standard setup. The spindles are pressed in place and have specific tolerances that need to be held. Look for threads on the subject.

...it has a fiberglass spring in rear...

Your fiberglass spring is aftermarket. Chevrolet did not use them until 1981. You might want to contact the previous owner and determine whether any other suspension work was done at the time the spring was installed.

Welcome!!

:)

And 6880 Mike forgot to mention about picking up the Assembly Instruction Manual ("AIM"). :D
That's different than a 'shop manual' if I recall correctly...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom