Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to clean/detail 1981 Wheels?

jforte

Corvette
Hey Guys, i have been detailing my 1981 Corvette over this weekend, and the wheels I am having some issues. I DON'T know if these are clear coated aluminum, or just aluminum. There are spots/oxidation all over the wheels. I used a few different metal polishes like Blue magic and Mothers Metal polish, and granted it helped give it a better shine, it did not remove the stuff. Should i be using likea swirl/haze remover, or something a little more abrasive? My fear is if they are clear coated, i will ruin that...not sure help please. Thanks,

One way to tell if they are still clear coated is when you use a metal polish on them, the polish will turn black almost instanly on the cloth and on the wheel if the clear coat is gone.
If not, then the clear coat is still there.
Then you need to treat them as if you were polishing paint.
A medium cut rubbing compound followed by swirl mark remover then wax.
If they are down to the bare aluminum, then you need to make sure that all areas are bare of clear coat. Clear coat can be removed by using nail polish remover (acetone) on a cloth, letting it soak, then reapply until the clear coat flakes off.
Then you can start to bring the finish back on the wheels.
Step 1:
Wetsand with 1000 grit wetordry sandpaper. You can go down to 400 grit for stubborn spots, then re-sand with 1000 grit.
Step2:
Polish with Nevrdull, Mothers, Hapish, Semichrome, POL, Wizards, or whatever aluminum polish ( I like Wixards because it smells like bubble gum) unti bright and shiny. A good buffing ball and electric drill makes it easier. You can get them at paint finishing stores.
Step 3:
Wash with GOOP hand cleaner followed by Dawn and water to get the residual polish off the wheel.
Step 4:
Repaint the black parts inside the wheel spokes.
Step 5:
Wax or re-clearcoat the shiny part of the wheel.
Personally, I like to leave the aluminum bare so it can be re-polished once a year.

spin the wheels on thew back of a car and sand with 180/320/400wet/600wet then use emery/tripoli/white rouge and you will have a very nice shine in about 1 1/2 hours a wheel

WOW fantastic replies. Thanks so much guys! I believe the clear coat is gone because after sitting there forever with the blue magic aluminum polish, the oxidation came off. So i took the wheel off the car. put it on my work bench and worked it for about 1 or 1.5 hours. The Wheel came out AMAZING, but it was VERY labor intensive working the wheel. Maybe i will try some of this other recommendations to make it go faster. Thanks again guys for the advice it is fantastic.

Try the polishing balls that go in the drill, saves labor, but this is a labor of LOVE.

I just use Never Dull when they need more than soap and water.

I use a product called mirrex, also found under the name speedy. It gets rid of the oxidation and shines up like chrome. Best part is, it goes on like wax and is easy to polish out. I also used it to polish out my waterneck and intake. Put a drop or two into a pad of super fine (0000) steel wool and rub it into the metal. Buff with a paper towel and within a couple coats its done. pretty easy

I use a product called mirrex, also found under the name speedy. It gets rid of the oxidation and shines up like chrome. Best part is, it goes on like wax and is easy to polish out. I also used it to polish out my waterneck and intake. Put a drop or two into a pad of super fine (0000) steel wool and rub it into the metal. Buff with a paper towel and within a couple coats its done. pretty easy

INTERESTING. I have used the 0000 steel wool on other products, my fear is that will scratch the metal if used with a polish, but if you have had good success then maybe i shoudl give it a shot. This was honestly my first thought, bu then thought maybe hairline scratches.

I never liked using steel wool, it makes very fine steel dust and turns to little specs of rust anywhere it lands. (Nothing quite like a bilge full of rust to learn that)

I use a clean cloth to wash with soap and water, and a clean towel to dry them. If you let the towel or cloth hit the ground then any spec of sand or dirt you pick up will put little scratches on the aluminum. So using a clean towel has been the trick for me.

Someone stole my wheels a few years back, the replacments had been machine polished so many times that they had very small pits in them and just wouldn't shine up nice. I got rid of that set of wheels and found a set that still had a smooth finish. I had them polished about 6 years ago. I admit they could shine a bit more than they do, but they look damn good in my book.

I'm actually more careful with my wheels than with the paint. It seems that polished aluminum is easier to put fine scratches in than a good paint job.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom