Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How's this for a lousy repop?

alps66

Corvette
1966 milano maroon 427/390
I recently ordered glove box and console inserts from Crane's, since from what I'd read, they're supposed to have the most accurate repops on the market. I received the order a few days later, drop shipped from Corvette America, and here's what I got. Needless to say, I wasn't a happy camper...

The brushed finish is way too severe.
43mre3t.jpg

Compare to the original.
2yjradf.jpg

After sanding down from 180 to 400 grit, coating with clear Krylon and buffing with steel wool down to 0000, I came close to the original. I used the cuttout method, but practiced on a template that I made from a piece of scrap aluminum before diving in to the real thing.
44qaero.jpg

And then there was the console shift pattern. Note the difference in the numbers (left is the repop). Totally unacceptable! Fortunately, I was able to use a heat gun to remove the old one from the console and sand out the blems.
2zsohfk.jpg

Buyer beware? :mad
Jeff

You got that right

About a year or so ago, I ordered half a dozen of these inserts from " Paragon " and was equally disappointed.

Although the finish was very close to factory, all of them came from the manufacturer with the holes already drilled for the emblem. The only problem was that they were drilled for the 66-67 model, and the position of the holes is incompatible with the 64 to 65 model year. I got in touch with them and was politely told that this is the ONLY one they sell, and that it should be used for all model years. ;help

So I guess the end user ( which is not me since I returned all of them ) will be obliged to either replace their correct 64-65 emblem with the later model emblem, or else live with the holes.

Talk about crappy repro parts.

Stepinwolf

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom