Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hubs, wheel bearings

tcolyer

Corvette
1982 Silver-Blue Coupe, 1986 4+3 Coupe
I noticed in the Corvette Central Website they have a HD rear wheel hub with tappered bearings instead of the factory roller bearing, has anyone used these, and if so did they last longer? I have a daily driver 86 and go thru a set of rear from Pep Boy's almost every 16months.

Thanks

You are going through rear bearings every 16 months?
Wow.

If that's the case, it's isn't going to matter what kind of bearings you use.

Does this car have very large diameter wheels by chance?

Does this car have very large diameter wheels by chance? NO factory wheel and tire size combination but I drive 100 miles a day so I put a lot of miles on it

That would only be in the area of 32,000 miles. I would be looking for a cause, or wheel bearings from a diff supplier.

Glenn
:w

rear wheel bearings

I ordered GM oems from Mid America, they cost more but will far ouotlast the Chinese imitations.

I noticed in the Corvette Central Website they have a HD rear wheel hub with tappered bearings instead of the factory roller bearing, has anyone used these, and if so did they last longer? I have a daily driver 86 and go thru a set of rear from Pep Boy's almost every 16months.

Thanks

There has been a lot of talk on the other forums about these tapered bearings, and from what I read these are the "cats meow". They are supposed to be better than the regular OE bearings. Now with that said, I have not tried them so I can not vouch for them, but this is what I read. Apparently these were developed by some of the guys who race and put quite a bit of stress on their wheel bearings.

I haven't put any on my corvette but in the past I have on other cars. Seems to me when the tapered bearings go they go totally out right now. The ball type will run for some time after they begin to fail.

Glenn
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom