Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hypertech Stage II ?'s

On the 84...

the fan switch is on the block. They sent me another wireing harness for the fan switch, but I used the one that was already on it (it was a pain to change out) and it was no problem. I think they sent me the extra wire just in case the old one was damaged. No spliceing or tapping was required and to the best of my knowledge there is no special relay (I just changed that too due to burnage). The way my vette is set up the fan switch turns on at 176 and off at 166 which triggers the relay to actuate the fan. I don't know how that interacts with the chip, maybe the chip closes the loop or something.
--Drew:w
:bu

Hypertech Stage II

The chip has nothing to do with the switch. In fact I may not use the chip since it mandates using 93 octange gasoline. I simply bought the switch because with a 160 degree thermostat, I don't need the temp getting up to 230 degrees before the fan comes on.

My real quandry was what I was going to do with the other harness and the careful instructions they sent me about how to "modify" my '85 harness. They didn't bother to tell me why. And like you, I could see no reason to do it. Changing turn on points should not effect the wiring. (IMHO)
But I was worried that I might be missing something. Of course trial and error is a good teacher. :)

I was glad to hear from someone who had done it though. Then I can proceed with a bit more confidence.

Thanks guys.............

Man!

I did not expect this much feedback from this!

Welllll......

we tend to stray from topic from time to time. :D
:w
:bu:bu

Hypertech Stage II

Well I got the 200 degree fan switch installed. What a pain! First the connector on the old switch would not (in any manner) fit the new switch so I would at least have to change the connector. Of course GM positioned it between plugs 7 and 8. Great place to do close work! I wound up installing the harness that Eckler sent me. It turns on both fans at once at about 207 degrees. (according to my dash temp) And it turns if off at about 86 degrees.
I was not able to change the stat. The bolt on the housing that goes through to the water jacket was frozen. I guess the problem with an '85 with only 44K on it is that the rest of the car is still 17 years old. I did not want to twist off that bolt out in the driveway so I gave up on the thermostat. I have a 160 degree stat to install if I can ever get that %&*() bolt out. But it appears to work pretty well anyway. I guess the fan could be pretty busy this summer. But right now it seems to work well.
That diagram that Eckler sent me made no sense and I had two more in the Chiltons manual that were in conflict. But there are tougher things then figuring out a DC relay. The surprise I got was that I have two fans and two fan relays.

Let me set the record straight on the Hypertech Stage II chip for the '85 Vette. It does NOT change shift points or fan speed or anything else. The ONLY thing it does, acoording to Hypertech, is advance the spark at WOT. That is why you need to run 93 octane gasoline.
Their big power improvement, according to them, is that massive amount of power you gain when you lower the temp in the throttle body by lowering the temp of the water going through it. If you believe that one I have this bridge I need to talk to you about. :)

Alls I knows is

With the old stock chip, my shift points were different. By simply changeing to the thermomaster chip my overdrive doesn't come on till 45 (used to be 35) and at WOT it tachs to 4500 before each shift (also different from stock chip).
Um--no bridge for me, but thanks.:D
--Drew:w
:bu:bu

Hypertech Stage II

I am not sure of the differences between an '84 and an '85, I have never owned an '84, but my OD shifts in at 47 right now. I think 35 is a bit premature anyway. Glad that fixed it for you. My '86 kicks in at about 45 also. Both have stock chips. I bet if you write to Hypertech they will not take the credit for that. We dumped the data from the Hypertech chip on the Fiero and the only data that was different from the stock chip was the table that caused spark to be advanced at WOT. In reading the hype from both Eckler and Hypertech there is nothing stating that it does anything other then advance the spark at WOT. I think if they did anything else they would be including that in their hype.

Good luck with it..............

hhhmmmmmmmmmmm!

I'm confused:confused
The Stage II Hypertech chip in addition to the WOT gains does change the turn on/ off points for your fan. Stock chip turns on fans in an 85 at 228 degrees. This changes to 174 degrees with the Stage II. This in conjunction with the 160 stat (required) does offer significant overall improvement at minimal cost.

Hypertech stage II

I think that anytime you change the chip you are going to see some intrinsic changes. They are not necessarily or purposely changed by Hypertech. But anything the chip normally controls will possibly be effected even though they were unplanned. That is my theory. What I noticed in the one I installed was absolutley nothing but possibly a bit more pep at WOT. That and the fact that I had to run high test gasoline or I would get pinging. But again, if you read the literature carefully you will notice a big absence of anything other then what I mentioned. You will never get them to admit anything else. But I have no doubt that other things happen. I have heard different types of changes happening to people for years. But I doubt they could be reproduced on demand. I don't doubt that some cars have shift points changed, some have fan turn on points change, and others probably have other things they have noticed. But in my particular case I saw only what they claimed would happen.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom