Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

IAC Clicking, Ignition off, 84 Crossfire

Swang

Corvette
1984 Coupe
I have a 1984 crossfire that did not run well when I bought it several years ago but has been getting better as I go through it.

Current problem developed after I replaced the ECM. Car ran ok with the new ECM, but with the key in the off position I could hear a clicking sound coming from both IAC valves. This sound continued until I disconnected the wires leading to the valves.

Condition before repalcing the ECM:
1. Started ok and ran ok
2. fast idle when cold was ok 1100 RPM
3. Idled at 600 RPM when warm
4. Started hard after a long drive, stalled sometimes after hard start, ran ok afterward. Engine temp never much over 167 with low temp prom. Usually started ok after short runs but even on short runs had time to warm up to 167.
5. The following items are new: EGR, EGR solenoid, MAP sensor, Hypertech Prom, 160 temp switch, 160 therm.
6. Transmission rebuilt
7. New radiator
8. New mufflers & cat
9. New O2 sensor

Why are the IAC valves clicking with the ignition key in the off postion?
Could the IAC valves be stuck in an open position?
Can the IAC valves be cleaned?

I have been told they can be cleaned. I have never experienced a condition like you are describing. I do know that when I pulled the plenum and TB off, my IAC was all gummed up inside. I cleaned mine, and the cold idle problem seems to be non existant. However I do not know what kind of setup the crossfire engine has.

Good Luck,
Craig

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom