Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Idle sticks sometimes

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
Hey everyone,

Sometimes my idle seems to get stuck at about 1500 rpm. If I tap the pedal a bit it will drop back to normal.
The carb is less than 1 year old.
Any idea what might be getting stuck?

1982 & up Corvettes do not have a Carburater they 82-84 have TBI and your problem is a dirty IAC or a sticking throttle cable or one of the TB. Clean them and that should be good.

Hey everyone,

Sometimes my idle seems to get stuck at about 1500 rpm. If I tap the pedal a bit it will drop back to normal.

Assuming the linkage isn't getting hung up on something, could be primary throttle plates not properly centered in their bores, or hanging up on a burr.

(His car is carbureted)

:beer

Yeah, i have a carburetor instead of the CFI.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into it and see if I can find anything.

Another thing to check is the mechanical advance in the distrubter.

Hey everyone,

Appearently, we have an 82 which has been converted to a four-barrel carb, however, there was no mention of what type of throttle linkage was used. Without that information, only some general suggestions can be offered.

Above is a suggestion to check to see if the throttle plates are "centered" in the bores. Do that.

Make sure the throttle return spring is strong enough and positioned properly. Make sure the linkage is not "sticking" or "hanging-up" in the idle position. Make sure the primary throttle shaft/bellcrank assembly is working properly. Make sure the other end of the linkage--the part which links to the gas pedal--isn't hanging up.

Lastly, the suggestion about checking the mechanical advance is a good one. If the mech. adv. is sticking or if the adv. springs are too weak, the advance mechanism may not be returning to its "stops". When that happens, spark advance at idle is inconsistent and that makes the idle speed unstable.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom