Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

If It Don't Fit Or Work...Throw Money At It..

Viet Nam Vett

Corvette
65 BB 502 Cp /MSD ATOMIC EFI/ 2009-HUMMER H2
Some of you here on the forum have heard me complain of the quailty and operational effectiveness of the Holly 850CFM Carb on my 502. The problem being the Vacuum Secondaries that seem to take forever to open after you drop your "Big Foot" on the go pedal.

Of course Holly says ..heh by our $50.00 Removeable Vacuum Secondary Chamber and Spring kit and just tune the secondary opening where you like it. Well..that crapy kit didn't work according to the directions and did not do what it says it will do. Not to mention the miss -information on the web site Vs the instructions that come with the kit.

Spoke to Holly on the phone and Bubba says.."Gee..well hot dam.. that should a done that there trick...BS..!!. Don't know what else to tell you... see yah..Click..!!

At Carlisle I spoke with 67Heaven and Gerry who agreed that there is something wrong here. Both of these guys can smoke the tires on a roll in first gear at 5 MPH. If I try that..she just digs in and goes...and somewhere around 3 grand starts to go like hell.

The Advance map is right on and every thing else is rock solid. I have been told to cut the secondary spring as well as other tings that the Holly manual tells you not to do. As far as I'm concerened.. I have a defective carb. I have checked the vacuum passages and made sure there are no leaks. I think this carb is just F_ _Ked Up..!!

Even 67Heaven found what looked like 4 0z's of Cocane inside his Holly carb when he was getting ready to insatll it. Lucky he caught it. Of course it wasn't Cocain ...but looked like it.;)

Now..alot of you I know run holly's..and have explained to me in a previous thread that they are good carbs. Ok... Fine that's all well and good. But As far as I'm Concerened...Farg em..

I spoke with Barry Grant and I have selected a new BG Carb which I Ordered to day...Choke.. I don't need no Stinken Choke..!!.. Vacuum Secondaries...I don't need no Stinken Vacuum Secondaries....I'm runnen Mechanical Secondaries..

After going thru a detailed discription of my Corvette covering almost every thing about my motor and drive line with BG...this is what he recommended..

http://www.barrygrant.com/demon/default.aspx?page=14

They suggested stepping down to a 750 CFM from The Holly 850 for better performance and torque in the steet range. This model will flow 1050CFM Wet.
The link shown is ther new series..check out the new easy adjustment thru the center of the carb.

No more crappy Holly...Just throw money at it till you fix it...

I thought that Cocane was the correct spelling???? BTW is the new carb emission certified? Don't want to offend the enviro gestapo.

Some of you here on the forum have heard me complain of the quailty and operational effectiveness of the Holly 850CFM Carb on my 502. The problem being the Vacuum Secondaries that seem to take forever to open after you drop your "Big Foot" on the go pedal.

Of course Holly says ..heh by our $50.00 Removeable Vacuum Secondary Chamber and Spring kit and just tune the secondary opening where you like it. Well..that crapy kit didn't work according to the directions and did not do what it says it will do. Not to mention the miss -information on the web site Vs the instructions that come with the kit.

Spoke to Holly on the phone and Bubba says.."Gee..well hot dam.. that should a done that there trick...BS..!!. Don't know what else to tell you... see yah..Click..!!

At Carlisle I spoke with 67Heaven and Gerry who agreed that there is something wrong here. Both of these guys can smoke the tires on a roll in first gear at 5 MPH. If I try that..she just digs in and goes...and somewhere around 3 grand starts to go like hell.

The Advance map is right on and every thing else is rock solid. I have been told to cut the secondary spring as well as other tings that the Holly manual tells you not to do. As far as I'm concerened.. I have a defective carb. I have checked the vacuum passages and made sure there are no leaks. I think this carb is just F_ _Ked Up..!!

Even 67Heaven found what looked like 4 0z's of Cocain inside his Holly carb when he was getting ready to insatll it. Lucky he caught it. Of course it wasn't Cocain ...but looked like it.;)

Now..alot of you I know run holly's..and have explained to me in a previous thread that they are good carbs. Ok... Fine that's all well and good. But As far as I'm Concerened...Farg em..

I spoke with Barry Grant and I have selected a new BG Carb which I Ordered to day...Choke.. I don't need no Stinken Choke..!!.. Vacuum Secondaries...I don't need no Stinken Vacuum Secondaries....I'm runnen Mechanical Secondaries..

After going thru a detailed discription of my Corvette covering almost every thing about my motor and drive line with BG...this is what he recommended..

http://www.barrygrant.com/demon/default.aspx?page=14

They suggested stepping down to a 750 CFM from The Holly 850 for better performance and torque in the steet range. This model will flow 1050CFM Wet.
The link shown is ther new series..check out the new easy adjustment thru the center of the carb.

No more crappy Holly...Just throw money at it till you fix it...

Heh Thanks..I'll Correct that ....SNifffffffffffffffffffffffffff...

you are gonna love the Demon and who cares about emissions from one little old 502. There's probably more coming from them there cigars;LOL

Best regards,
Gerry

That Demon is a thing of beauty. I hope it works out like you want it to. Now you will have one new thing to throw money at.....a tire bill. :L

you are gonna love the Demon and who cares about emissions from one little old 502. There's probably more coming from them there cigars;LOL

Best regards,
Gerry

10-4...I'll tape me up a Kuba-Kuba to the side pipes and she'll smell real nice..:L

That Demon is a thing of beauty. I hope it works out like you want it to. Now you will have one new thing to throw money at.....a tire bill. :L

Yeah.....I'm starting my tire fund today. $10.00 a week and also $5.00 a week for tickets for making to much noise...:L

Mark -- how about double checking that the gas pedal linkage is opening up the carb linkage all the way.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Yeah............!!
In fact I bought one of them there Throttle Stop plates that bolts to the carb base and has an adjustable plate which prevents the cab linkage from going to far past wide open posistion. This prevents stressing the linkage and damaging the throttel plates.

So ..I know for a fact that it is wide open as I have set the wide open stop point on the linkage...So this brings us back to my last statement..

The Carb Is made like Junk..!!

Thanks for the suggestion though...
:beer

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Yeah............!!
In fact I bought one of them there Throttle Stop plates that bolts to the carb base and has an adjustable plate which prevents the cab linkage from going to far past wide open posistion. This prevents stressing the linkage and damaging the throttel plates.

So ..I know for a fact that it is wide open as I have set the wide open stop point on the linkage...So this brings us back to my last statement..

The Carb Is made like Junk..!!

Thanks for the suggestion though...

Ya know as I read this litany of problems / solutions I am reminded of the old axion...."A bad mechanic blames his tools" perhaps the new axiom is "A bad mechanic blames his parts suppliers". If the new car does not deliver as expected perhaps it is time to get another wrench involved in workin on the car???? Just my $.02 FWIW but since I can't spell Kocain what do I know..

Good luck with the carb. Was workin on the new shop area this week got to thinking might be a 502 would be fun. Hmmmmmm??

HOW LONG HAVE I BEEN TELLING YOU TO GO WITH MECHANICAL SECONDARIES AND LOSE THAT CHOKE TOWER??????????

thank god i have enough gin for the weekend

Ya know as I read this litany of problems / solutions I am reminded of the old axion...."A bad mechanic blames his tools" perhaps the new axiom is "A bad mechanic blames his parts suppliers". If the new car does not deliver as expected perhaps it is time to get another wrench involved in workin on the car???? Just my $.02 FWIW but since I can't spell Kocain what do I know..

Good luck with the carb. Was workin on the new shop area this week got to thinking might be a 502 would be fun. Hmmmmmm??

Heh Nut Head... :L Thanks for the suggestion. It's just that I have given Holly and everyone else a chance for input on this problem. I have followed all the directions both written and verbal from Holly.

What I haven't doen is do what the manual says not to do...Such as Cut springs etc. I haven given this pice of crap carb every chance to work. My timing and advance was very carefully checked and set.

So I know it is NOT IGNITION RELATED...It is this Crappy carb that refuses to do what the Book says it's to do. Farg It... OFF the motor ...into a box. Done..!!

And I think for you a 572 would match you personality much better....:L

And I did not correct your Spelling..It was DARTH VTR...The "Speeling" Teacher..;LOL

HOW LONG HAVE I BEEN TELLING YOU TO GO WITH MECHANICAL SECONDARIES AND LOSE THAT CHOKE TOWER??????????

thank god i have enough gin for the weekend

Ok Ok....Your right... Farg the Choke and Vac Sec... Start up Backfire here I come......

Glad your holding the Gin....Between us maybe we can set fire to both our Vette's... Yours Electrical...Mine..Fuel...;LOL Ok.. gotta go a now and check my insurance policy.

Heh Nut Head... :L Thanks for the suggestion. It's just that I have given Holly and everyone else a chance for input on this problem. I have followed all the directions both written and verbal from Holly.

What I haven't doen is do what the manual says not to do...Such as Cut springs etc. I haven given this pice of crap carb every chance to work. My timing and advance was very carefully checked and set.

So I know it is NOT IGNITION RELATED...It is this Crappy carb that refuses to do what the Book says it's to do. Farg It... OFF the motor ...into a box. Done..!!

And I think for you a 572 would match you personality much better....:L

And I did not correct your Spelling..It was DARTH VTR...The "Speeling" Teacher..;LOL

Yes indeed Darth did respond about the spelling ( another Manhattan Bartender!!!!!!! ). I corrected you and I was STILL wrong on the spelling.

As for cutting the spring.. seriously here. I think cutting the spring actually will have the effect of stiffining the spring /retarding the secondary opening same as cutting a coil on the suspensin. You in effect are shortening the spring and causing MORE force to be needed to be to open the secondaries.

Okay on to other matters. Went to the CLUB tonight. Must have been nice cleavage and breast augmentation night. Lots of good looking T____ts ..well tanned after the summer in Atlanta. One pair in particular sticks in my mind.

Worked on the garage this week at night...most of the electrical wiring is done. Headed to the Depot tomorrow gonna buy some wood for the workbench. One long bench about 16 feet along the longest wall. First thing is to get the motorcycle running after the shop is ready. Gotta limit my concumption of "Precious non renewable natural resources"...not to mention that the bike has 140 Hp and weighs about 484 Lbs.

You and the Kid and 67 Heaven need to find a reason to get to Atlanta. There is plent of stuff to see and do. Likely the house will be ready for visitors soon.

Anyway good luck with the new carb. Gotta talk more about the 502 option. Later after the "buzz" from the Club wears off.

Yes indeed Darth did respond about the spelling ( another Manhattan Bartender!!!!!!! ). I corrected you and I was STILL wrong on the spelling.

As for cutting the spring.. seriously here. I think cutting the spring actually will have the effect of stiffining the spring /retarding the secondarie opening same as cutting a coil on the suspensin. You in effect are shortening the spring and causing MORE force to be need to be to open the secondaries.

Okay on to other matters. Went to the CLUB tonight. Must have been cleavage and breast augmentation night. Lots of good looking **** ..well tanned after the summer in Atlanta. One pair in particular sticks in my mind.

Worked on the garage this week at night...most of the electrical wiring is done. Headed to the Depot tomorrow gonna buy some wood for the workbench. One long bench about 16 feet along the longest wall. First thing is to get the motorcycle running after the shop is ready.

You and the Kid and 67 Heaven need to find a reason to get to Atlanta. There is plent of stuff to see and do. Likely the house will be ready for visitors soon.

Anyway good luck with the new carb. Gotta talt more about the 502 option. Later after the "buzz" from the Club wears off.

As for cutting the spring.. seriously here. I think cutting the spring actually will have the effect of stiffining the spring /retarding the secondarie opening same as cutting a coil on the suspensin. You in effect are shortening the spring and causing MORE force to be need to be to open the secondaries.

Smart Man.. Excactly to a tee what Holly says in there Manual.. Don't do it.

Sounds like you'r enjoying that club.. was Mrs. Nutmegger with you?? Or, Were you checking for the best Skin pull..and Tummy Tuck:L

Well keep us posted on the Vistor quarters.. maybe we could work up a road trip if we can talk Kid into some how convincing his BB to leave New Joisey. I know Bob would Drive down...He still has plenty of Canada This And Canda That stories to tell.

Maybe we could even get one of the CAC Cruise Fest's to be held in Atlanta.
That would be cool..

The 502 Option gives you many ways to go ...turn key or build it up yourself from a short block. Many combo's available. Goe to 67Heaven's web page and see how he built his 502 up.

Me ..I went turnkey.

I'll keep you posted on the BG Carb ..It showed up to day .. Looks sweeet.

Mark sorry so late in the post

I have a BG 750 speedemon on the 62

It has adjustable vacuum secondaries

Its a great carb and you can adjust it to come in real fast.

Prior to taking the holley off why don't you try to install a small machine screw in the little slider for the secondaries to see if you can mechanically bring them in faster to determine if in fact its the problem with the secondaries not coming in fast enough.

Mark sorry so late in the post

I have a BG 750 speedemon on the 62

It has adjustable vacuum secondaries

Its a great carb and you can adjust it to come in real fast.

Prior to taking the holley off why don't you try to install a small machine screw in the little slider for the secondaries to see if you can mechanically bring them in faster to determine if in fact its the problem with the secondaries not coming in fast enough.

Heh Larry,

To Late it's in the trash and the new BG is on the car look for my new post..
hol2.jpg

Atlanta may not be out of the question. I drove the bb 90 miles today from OCNJ to Princeton in the driving rain and it all went well.

It WOULD be good to see Nutmegger so that VNV spends his money instead of mine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom