Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

If you've got the gift as a photographer...

I tend to be a fan of natural light. Worked my way through college doing wedding photography and the money shots were ALWAYS natural light. Brides would go nuts over the pictures which had them at a side altar, right profile with natural light coming over their right shoulder.

Can't lose.

Look at the picture of the silver SWC. Natural light which accents the lines of the car. A money shot. Many of our pictures (include me because I just usually snap away) are "flat" because we don't take into account the sun angle (needs to be behind the shooter) or we use too much flash. Or we let the camera decide which f stop to use. Unless we want a very technical picture to demonstrate a point.

Flash is fine but it should not be used directly above the lens. Tough to remove the flash these days. When I have a REAL camera, rather than these digital toys (a CAMERA by Sony, OH PUHLEEZE!!), I tend to use a cool balanced film, as much natural light as possible, shoot 3 shots (one at camera-determined f stop and two which are higher (less light comes in) and hold the flash off hand at an angle to give me highlights. I shoot ASA 100 film to allow the finer grain to compensate for less light.

My best shots are not digital and scanning them loses too much detail...bummer.

I ususally shoot a lot and pick out a couple that I like. Since there was a C5 pic in this thread, here's a couple of the Ghost Machine on the Dragon, the day after Thanksgiving:

Dragon3.jpg

The car had about 1500 miles of road grime on it at this point. The temp was about 35 F and the weather was perfect.

Dragon1.jpg

I tend to be a fan of natural light. Worked my way through college doing wedding photography and the money shots were ALWAYS natural light. Brides would go nuts over the pictures which had them at a side altar, right profile with natural light coming over their right shoulder.

Can't lose.

Look at the picture of the silver SWC. Natural light which accents the lines of the car. A money shot. Many of our pictures (include me because I just usually snap away) are "flat" because we don't take into account the sun angle (needs to be behind the shooter) or we use too much flash. Or we let the camera decide which f stop to use. Unless we want a very technical picture to demonstrate a point.

Flash is fine but it should not be used directly above the lens. Tough to remove the flash these days. When I have a REAL camera, rather than these digital toys (a CAMERA by Sony, OH PUHLEEZE!!), I tend to use a cool balanced film, as much natural light as possible, shoot 3 shots (one at camera-determined f stop and two which are higher (less light comes in) and hold the flash off hand at an angle to give me highlights. I shoot ASA 100 film to allow the finer grain to compensate for less light.

My best shots are not digital and scanning them loses too much detail...bummer.

I like natural light too, but I doubt if I can get someone at a car show to turn their car around so the sun is shining in the engine compartment so I can take a detailed picture. I guess I will have to continue to use flash.

Same thoughts apply to my Nikon's too!;)

I like this of Nolan Adams with my car...

:rotfl
There have been some great ideas, suggestions, dos-and-don'ts in this thread. Keep them coming.

:upthumbs (notice my thumb clicking on the shutter)
I thought your lens cap was still on......:D ;LOL

I still find this the nicest shot of the three Vette registries:

car_30837S107421SM4372da29793c7

Thank you, that's my photo and my car, taken at Ocean City, October 2005. I did attend the New England School of Photography, worked for UPI, and was a sports Photographer for the Boston Red Sox (under Bill Crowely) in 1977, and did freelance of CAM AM and TRANS AM racing in 1978.

I have found this thread to be very interesting and really was not going to post, just wanted to watch how it develops. I have done a lot of photographic work and have a nice library of cars that I have taken over the years. I do pride myself on my technical skills with the camera and because of my schooling understand the principles of light.

Don't mean to brag, but just thought that you would like to know my background. I left the professional arena years ago because I found my creative skills were decrease as my work became more standard for reporting not artistic. In addition, I found the photography field very hard to make a living, as there is not test or real organization that provides a true certifcation, thus anybody with a 35mm camera can call themselve a "professional". I will post more photos later....hope you enjoy and thank you so much for the recongnition.

Collin MacDonald
Ebvette

Here are some more that I have taken...

w2.jpg

53a.jpg

2002vert1.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

b292a5ef.jpg

77712de4.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

Many more but I thought you would like to see these....

Awesome silver 63 !!! Nice work too ! Makes my cheap camera and a ladder method look pretty weak.

Now if I may add one more thing about photography. It is an art, and some folks are born with the skill of being able to frame a photo by simply seeing it as it exists. Sure many folks understand the mechanics of the camera and the science, but the ability to be able to see and record the desired results is a skill that, like the picture is developed.

For some reason I have been taking photos since I was seven years old, and it comes very natural to me. I have taught courses and in many cases went of "photo shoots" with friends who have very expensive cameras, understand how they work, but is unable to really frame and take a good photo. They take "snapshots".

Just like everything else we have natural and acquired skills. When you are blessed with any "natural" skill and you use it, it seems to fit together and you have an easier time to learn and understand. If you have to acquire the skill, well I thing we all know the amount of trial and error that happens.

I have read countless books on "How to Take PHOTOS" of cars, potriats, sports, nature, and micro or macro photography, and still it boils down to being able to see the picture before you take the picture.

Just my humble view on this matter.....

Perhaps a coffe table book about shop rags?

Awright, listen up. I'm no photographer in the true sense but I've had my fair share of undergraduate courses in photography and portait work Just good enough to appreciate EBvette's work. Take a look at the balance in the composition, the pictures are not divided equally by a line in the background (like half sky, half grass) and this makes for a more interesting picture. The cars on the road are going around a curve, more interesting than just going down a straight road. The SWC next to the three sidewalk posts - the entire picture is cool to the touch. All 'ya need is a Sam Spade character next to the car looking to make a fast get away. Almost film noire. The picture of the SWC, emphasizing the highlights is something I should definitely try.

Very nice work. The kids rely TOO much on digital effects to create a mood. The pro gets it correct on the film and dials it in in the darkroom.

nice stuff and gives me some great ideas

perhaps you should take a picture of JohnZ's shop rags (JUST KIDDING John, put the gun down, sheesh)

Awright, listen up. I'm no photographer in the true sense but I've had my fair share of undergraduate courses in photography and portait work Just good enough to appreciate EBvette's work. Take a look at the balance in the composition, the pictures are not divided equally by a line in the background (like half sky, half grass) and this makes for a more interesting picture. The cars on the road are going around a curve, more interesting than just going down a straight road. The SWC next to the three sidewalk posts - the entire picture is cool to the touch. All 'ya need is a Sam Spade character next to the car looking to make a fast get away. Almost film noire. The picture of the SWC, emphasizing the highlights is something I should definitely try.

Very nice work. The kids rely TOO much on digital effects to create a mood. The pro gets it correct on the film and dials it in in the darkroom.

nice stuff and gives me some great ideas

perhaps you should take a picture of JohnZ's shop rags (JUST KIDDING John, put the gun down, sheesh)

YOU Got it right... composition is 90% of the picture, and that is what I was saying about things coming natural... If you do not have the eye it takes time, patience and practice....

Cheers to all....FYI, think wife is buying me a new Nikon D200 for XMAS, so I might be selling my D70...maybe

Just wanted to add a note of thanks for all to share their expertise. I only have an interest in photography, i don't think it amounts to taking Photo's, but this thread is providing incredible insight(s). Thank you All!!

Collin: If you do decide to sell the D70, let us know. ;)

:w
-Stefan

How about these once I took at our latest judging school?

ai_10_5_SM456897df220cb

ai_10_6_SM456898326ea0b

ai_10_7_SM4568989789b24

ai_10_13_SM45689c0d86d27

ai_10_14_SM45689c5556357

ai_10_15_SM45689cb1a0fbd

ai_10_16_SM45689d998788d

greetings,
Rob.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom