Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

If you've got the gift as a photographer...

Very nicely done, Rob. Greets. :w

(Posting on a new server hope it works.)

Since it almost Xmas I will show you some images I have been doing for a few years. Maybe you can ask Santa for the printer. I use a sony camera 5+ mp, Corel Draw and a HP 8750 printer. This is a 13x19 printer and has been the best part of the projects. I have found that the 13x19 size makes a great frame able image. I use corel since I had a friend who was very good in it and did the first images to what I wanted. Once I had a couple that I could use as a format for a template I changed it.

Note what you see is an image done on plain 13x19 paper then I took a picture that I could post. If you use photo paper it makes a much better image. You can go online and buy the larger size plan paper in bulk and photo papers in 13x19 size for a fairly reasonable charge. Using these ideas you can make a gift that is not too expensive and really personalized. I get 5-8 images per color cartridge.

The first image was done at Bloomington for Kevin McKay. I started with about 10 photos then Mr G came by and was gracious enough to do several poses for me, note the tip about making the person overpower the car is a valid point and is demonstrated here. In this case I really liked the artwork so it was the centerpiece. I did another image using the Mr. G image as the centerpiece but posted this to give you some ideas on how to use the poster/artwork. The pervious recommendation about scanning the event flyer was good but you can use the camera as the scanner IE take a picture of the flyer, quicker and the image is just as good. The finished image was 140meg so you need a machine with some horsepower to do these. I save them off to a cd.

http://www.deliquescence.net/~tyler/misc/poster_bl.jpg

This next image was for a friend who likes GS’s. In this case the car is the main focus with images of some of the unique items on the car. The event poster was 4’x8’ again I used the camera to take a picture to be used with the image.

http://www.deliquescence.net/~tyler/misc/GS%201.jpg

The pictures above were taken indoors in a room that had neon and incandescent lighting and in some I use a flash, you just have to experiment. In the above I had the luxury of going back to re shoot what did not work.

This last image was for a friend’s wife 50 th bday party. I borrowed a 56 to use as a backdrop since she was born in 56 (yeah I know it’s a 57 but who can tell the difference). As I was taking pictures these 2 girls wanted me to shoot them using the car. It gives you some ideas on how to position people for good shots. Thanks to Sebringbill for use of the car.

http://www.deliquescence.net/~tyler/misc/girls.jpg

Another tip with the bigger printer you can make your own description/information posters. Just use your word processor with the page size and font that works. You can buy foam backboards in a 24x36 size and cut them to match whatever you print.
Hopes this gives you some ideas.

Tyler

Lose the meter in the first shot and the tele pole/ blue sign in the 2nd.
Great subject you got there!
Stay away from busy backgrounds, get some sunlight. Dawn or dusk shots with low light do wonders especillay with parking lights on. Low, head on with a 135 or 200mm lens if you are shooting film. Like the concept of the bright red against the muted, flat black contrast of the train.
The last photo has too much contrast between the bright sky and 'dark' created by the building, no happy medium. Would be interesting to see the homogenous red car against the wall of the white/ brown building in a tight shot. would need more light though.
Your at a good point when you are taking photos of your turnkey vette.

Agree with comments above, especially the electic meters.

OK, lets get basic, when shooting a specific interesting subject, keep the subject the main interest. For example, Shooting in the Railroad yards would be OK if the Railroad cars were not in total focus, you have managed to only put your car as PART of a picture with more then ONE interesting subject. So next time, bring the car up closer in the center, and loose the trains with making them more of the back ground. In other words your car is getting lost in your photos. Backgrounds should be backgrounds, not is total focus. The telephone poles and wires are distracting, they look like they are shooting out of your car...try to take special care on see what is behind the subject ...like trees growing out of hood, telephone poles out of the trunk etc.

Your parrell street lines the water lines and the building lines all run parrellel with your car...again the CAR must be much closer and the building and water is only background.

You shot a an overcase day, next time try a flash as a fill to give your car some white shine, this will accent your cars lines and not make the entire picture the same contrast.

Also, best time to shoot is early morning, the shadows are small and air is clearer. Shooting with greys and whites make the pictures look dull, your red car is much brighter but you loose the contrast because of the dull cloudy conditions and the greys.

Go back to basics, get more of your car in the FRAME...try a three quarter side view with our front wheels turned outward, and shoot this photo about 3 to 4 feet off the ground. Use a telephoto lense, shoot from a distance and bring the car into full frame...use a fill flash and you will get a great shot.

Project1.png

A little work with Photoshop and you have a really nice photo...

50 Percent is in the lab

Project2.jpg

Now I did this rather quickly, but more time and they would have come out a little better, but the point I wanted to make was the subject matter needs to be closer with background not taking over the picture.

....great thread

....the works' neither in the camera or in the lab, it's in the eye

nice stuff EBVettte

I'm not happy with the heavy shadow swallowing up the right-underside of the car, but how are these for composition?

Gotta work on the shadows.

Bob, I'm no photo genius, but you might also want to work on removing that piece of wood, that is sticking up, out of your left front fender. Hope it doesn't leave too large a hole when you finally get it out. ;LOL

Stepinwolf

Great thread

This is a great thread. My personal favorites are EBVettes '63 SWC-the Ocean City shot and the overhead with the 4 poles. Awesome. Just great. Paul's green '67 with the fall background is sweet as well.

Bob-'67 Heaven-I have a couple photos of your car at Cruisefest, a couple of straight overhead shots from out of my hotel window (when you were washing your car Saturday a.m.), and a couple others. They are all 1-2 MB each. I can send them to you PM, or burn 'em to CD, but I think you might like the overheads-really bring out your fenders. Like standing on a boardwalk and seeing a lovely lady on the beach catching rays...:naughty:

I always take them at high resolution, figuring I can adjust the size later. Still haven't persued that, though, usually I try to convince the Tech Writer at work here to resize them for me.:eyerole

Rick
:gap

Hey 67 Heaven remember me? You know the guy down the road from You ( Or was )lol. Merry Christmas to You and the Missus.......Jake:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom