Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ignition/steering Column Lock On 71???

MRANT212

Corvette
1988 35th ANNIV,1971 BRIDGEHAMPTON BLUE BB COUPE
Hey gang real dumb question here and hope to get some sort of direction. Recently got my 71 shark and love it. However, seems to be some issues with the ignition/steering column lock. just tried to fire it up and the key doesnt want to turn at all. I can jiggle it turn the wheel whatever and it aint budging!! Lately its been doing this. Its not the original keys and or tumblers in the ignition. should I squirt some lock ease first or pop the ignition switch. When it does turn then it turns for the day like nothing is wrong. just dont want to get stuck somewhere!!!

Anthony

Try playing with the shifter to see if that affects the key lock. The linkage has to be in the right position to drop the locking pin out of the column.

Check the function/adjustment of the backdrive cable from the reverse lever on the transmission to the lever at the bottom of the steering column just rearward of the rag joint. That lever turns a tube inside the steering column that operates a lockout at the top for the ignition key cylinder so you can't turn the key to "Lock" unless a 4-speed is in reverse or an automatic is in Park. Many C3 owners aren't aware of that system until it fails.
:beer

Hey!!! Thanks guys for the info!!! Just came back from my monthly Vette meeting and one of the members told me of the reverse lockout with the 4 speed....Put the damn thing in reverse and no problem!!!! Thanks again...This site is great!!!

Anthony

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom