Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ignition Switch Problem

Steve78

Corvette
1978 Mahogany
I attempted to start my 1978 Corvette, I couldn't get the ignition to turn all the way it would go just off of the Arrow and stop, My dad (bill81vette) helped me take the steering wheel column apart and get the switch out, while the switch was out I could turn the switch with no problem. so I put it back in a tried same thing no far from the arrow, so we took it back out. This is where we are stuck. We don't know where to go from here. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Dad, if you have anything to add please feel free.

I attempted to start my 1978 Corvette, I couldn't get the ignition to turn all the way it would go just off of the Arrow and stop, My dad (bill81vette) helped me take the steering wheel column apart and get the switch out, while the switch was out I could turn the switch with no problem. so I put it back in a tried same thing no far from the arrow, so we took it back out. This is where we are stuck. We don't know where to go from here. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Dad, if you have anything to add please feel free.

Are you turning the steering wheel back and forth a little bit to release the lock before trying to turn the key? If the anti-theft lock isn't released the key lock cylinder will only turn a tiny bit like you are describing.

The switch is out...
it is bound up in the column somewhere.
I'll take another look at it next weekend.

As you know, there is a rod that runs from the lock assembly to the starter switch thru the steering column. There is a clip that fastens the rod to the lock assembly. If the clip has somehow came off, the rod can slip out of it's place and jam up the lock assembly.

I knew about the rod,(I was going to look at that next w/e..)
I didn't know about the clip,I look for it.
Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom