Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! I'm I getting screwed on the state inspection

C

C3/C4 KID

I went to get my Corvette inspected today, I failed because the battery was not clampdown :banghead: and I had no mufflers on my exhaust. But it passed last year for state inspection. If the car is 25 years or older it doesn't have to go through emissions in the state of Pennsylvania. I do have muffler eliminator on the exhaust. I'm a little confused on this. My son has the same setup except he has his resonator on still. He goes through inspections with flying colors.

Thank Russ :beer:

I would call you state DMV and see what is required, and get a copy of it,
or perhaps you could get it on-line for your year vehicle.
I could be the inspector is looking to make some $$$$ on your vette!!!!
I'd also file a complaint if the inspector did you wrong!!!!

The battery hold down hardware is cheap. Order what you need from the aftermarket providers.

:thumb

I don't think the inspection station is being unreasonable. If you got into an accident and the battery tipped over spilling all it's acid, they could be brought into the liability. And being upset because you don't have ANY mufflers, come on now! This inspection station and mechanic could loose their license and livelihood. I'm sure they know you don't have to have it fixed there either. Think about it before being all upset thinking they have it in for you. ;shrug And maybe when it passed last year, the inspection station gave you a "gift".

Well just order the hold down for the battery.. took sometime to find the p/n's on it. .. for the mufflers my son still has the resonator on his Corvette . That is how he passes.

Look at the PADOT sight for inspection rules. Although, maybe, 25 year old cars don't need a tube-up-the-pipe, the visual checks still apply, unless you have Antique, Classic, etc. licence plates.

I have Classic plates. No tail pipe check, no visual inspection. I do get a yearly Safety Inspection, on my modified '76 but no visual inspection of the exhaust, emissions, etc. is done or required. Modifications I made would not pass a visual inspection.

I have had Classic plates for about 12 years, never a problem with law enforcement. It is not a daily driver, but I do stretch the rules for the Classic plates. Classic or Antique plates are also cheaper, in the long run.

It also helps if you have a regular garage, that knows you.

Last edited:
Russ, I don't think the exemption is for 25 year old cars, it's for cars that never had it, which I think is previous to 1974. I got classic plates for my Vette, as they had smog pumps and catylitic converters in 1981. If I would have gone with standard plates, I would have had to have all that for 'visual inspection', at least for the first time. Emission inspections also vary by county, and ours has one. Classic plates don't include emissions, and Antique plates exempt inspection altogether.
I also have a 1956 pickup, and there are no standards for the truck that didn't exist when it was built.

I'm going to put stock mufflers on they said they will pass it with stock mufflers. Im going to install the hold down and mufflers today.

If you could pass along the battery hold down part numbers, I'd much appreciate it. I've never had the battery clamped down, and it's always bothered me. Thanks!

-Tatortot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom