Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I'm Stupid - Wittek Clamp

paul67

Corvette
1974 convertible
In a few weeks I will be replacing some components of the cooling system in my 1967; surge tank, hoses, etc. In that regard I purchased a 20-piece repro clamp set. I have a hodge-podge of clamps at the moment including screw/ring clamps on the rad hoses. The kit came with the large Wittek clamps for those hoses.

Well I must be having a bad day...or I'm thick. I can't see how the Wittek clamp tightens on the rubber as a screw clamp does. I've pushed and pulled but the straps do not move, even with the screw off. How does this darn thing tighten on the hose? What am I missing?

clamp004.jpg

As you tighten the screw...the square shaped section at the tip of the screw rises and it tightens. I got mine with the new flex fuel line and wondered how it worked too (you're not the only one).

Torch is correct
as you tighten the screw it raises the top section to tighten the clamp on the hose.

When I was doing the work on my '65 earlier this winter I've found out those tower clamps are a PITA.
As you tighten the screw ( i recommend using a socket on the screw rather than a screwdriver) make sure the screw is moving straight and not angling off to the side on you or the clamp won't tighten evenly

Gee sh,You guys must be Youngsters!!!! If I had a nickel for every one of them I've Used, I'd be a very,very Wealthy Man!!;LOL :D

Reliable isn't a word that comes to my mind. I never reused the darn things back in the day if the worm gear type were available. I hated them and still do!

BarryK said:
As you tighten the screw ( i recommend using a socket on the screw rather than a screwdriver) make sure the screw is moving straight and not angling off to the side on you or the clamp won't tighten evenly

Barry is correct. The repo clamps have a tendency to pull up on one side when tightened. I've found that if you coat the inside of the clamp with a light film of grease the work much better. :pat

Mike

Thanks for those replies. Me thinks I will stay with the worm gear type.

Yes, now I am having seconds thought about using them on the fuel line. Maybe that's why there were worm type clamps on there in the first place.

paul67 said:
Thanks for those replies. Me thinks I will stay with the worm gear type.

Paul
The tower clamps are the correct ones to use on the radiator hoses. i wasn't trying to scare you off of using them, just wanted to let you be aware of the need to be careful as you put them on so they tighten correctly and evenly.
Since you have them, you might as well use them. :)

I hate those clamps I replace them with the worm gear type. I have even gone so far as using the Fuel Injection spec clamps on all fuel lines.
Time marches on.

The original PRODUCTION Wittek clamps were extremely reliable - I still have the originals on my '69 Z/28, and have re-used them when I changed the radiator hoses several years ago. However, Wittek went out of business about 15 years ago, and the reproductions of those clamps are NOT made out of the same materials and are NOT as strong as the originals - I had three out of four fail several years ago within a few days of installing them, the day after my car was judged. I replaced them with originals taken off cars in junkyards and didn't worry about the dates, and they work fine. If you use the repros, oil or grease them where the band pulls through the ears on the collar to help them pull up, and DON'T over-torque them.
:beer

JL66REDCPE said:
I agree -- I also wish I had a nickel for every one of them I re-used.
I was count'n the re-used ones!!!! I'd be Rich I tell ya!!!:W :W

Be careful

The problem that is most often seen, is not necessarily during the installation or as John says the delicate tightening, but rather their removal and re-use.

I guarantee you that it's not a fun thing to do , to have to remove one that has been tightly clamped down for any length of time. :ugh

Stepinwolf

So you think it would be ok to use a new one? Unfortunately, like John said, Wittek went out of business. This is just a temporary fix on the fuel line until I start the frame off. Maybe it would be best to just use a worm gear clamp. I mean after all, it's not going for B Gold or TF awards anytime soon...:D

In my opinion I would not use anything less than a screw clamp on a rubber fuel line. In fact I would not use a rubber fuel line at all.

I beleive Dr Rebuild still sells originals...check him out...just don't call on the 800 line:rotfl

paul67 said:
In my opinion I would not use anything less than a screw clamp on a rubber fuel line. In fact I would not use a rubber fuel line at all.

Paul, you are 100% absolutely correct. Rubber, and fuel lines should never be used in the same sentence, nor on our beloved Corvettes. Regardless of the fact that some installations could have been factory, two wrongs, yada, yada.

Stepinwolf

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom