Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Inrease Performance

68 Vette

Corvette
1968 L79 British Racing Green Conv
Just purchased a 68 vette and would like some ideas on how to increase some HP on my stock L79.

Very open-ended question. Can you be more specific? Do you want to stay stock and how much money do you have to spend? What is your configuration now?

68 vette, welcome to the :CAC

Someday we are going to have to create an FAQ for these types of questions. They come up all the time from new folks.
Take a peek in some of the previous threads here in the C3 forum. There have been a couple recent ones where the same questions were asked, and the same answers given.

For example, this thread --> Click!

Thx for the info,,,,,I want to keep it stock as much as possible and have 3 to 4 grand to spend. Is it that obvious I'm new here...

I want to keep it stock as much as possible...
What exactly does that mean??? :L

The usual answers go like this...

You're off to a good start since you don't have to worry about emissions. So start with the exhaust. Let the car exhale a little bit more. Redo the exhaust from the engine back. New headers, pipes, mufflers.

From there, since I don't know what "keep it stock" means, I'd say have engine work done. With the remaining $3000 or so left over after the exhaust, I'd have engine work done. Take the 327ci up to 383ci specs and call it a day. That'll definitely give you a bump, especially considering that the L79 was already rated at 350HP (gross).

Depending on what you already have for rear end gearing, you might considering putting in a different gear set, such as a 3.73

yard the motor and put it on a stand, then seal it in plastic. afterwards i'd drop in a big displacement smallblock crate motor and enjoy.

...For $3000-$4000??? Even the ZZ4 engine is retailing for just a clip under $4K now. What engine(s) are you thinking of?

http://www.speedomotive.com/ps-157-69-chevy-383cid-400hp-budget-short-block.aspx

you can easily start with something like this and put on decent heads. by the time it's done, you'll have $3500-$4000 in it. right in the budget bracket as requested. of course there are litterally thousands of builders/builds out there. just need to do some shopping and pricing. you can throw pretty much any combo of lower grade parts together and it'll hold 400 hp. you just don't want to spin a crap rotating assembly at 7000 rpm all day. a good balance job does wonders to compensate for cast parts instead of forged parts. going big cube long stroke allows for lots of torque and at low rpm, perfect for a heavy car on the street.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom