Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Inspecting a 2000 Coupe - What am I missing?

Rain

Corvette
2000 Coupe 6 speed
If all goes well with the inspection via telephone today, I will be flying out to Richmond, VA to bring back a 2000 coupe.

Here is my rough list so far:
Inspect Battery for cracks or signs of past leakage
Seat Bolsters
Driver's Seat rock?
Check front end and rocker panels for signs of speed bump and parking space scrapes
Does the AC work(heater too)
Column Lock Recall
Faulty gas gauge?
Noisy Fuel Pump?
Do all the speakers work on the stereo?
Lights and Turn Signals?
Get the VIN so the local dealership can run service history'

What am I missing?
Thanks
Rain

ttt!

Should I try and get my hands on a code reader?

Imagine this car has been WELL taken care of (and has actually sat alot of the past year).

Check ing the codes is easy from the DIC so you don't need a scanner for the engine codes the rest of them require a TechII so thats a whole different game

take a look here http://corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/question.php?qstId=242

most of the stuff yuo asked about just might happen to almost any C5. The only way to be sure about the battery issue is to take out the battery & tray and look.
I'd check for water on or in the passenger carpet. (ac drain pluged), column lock if it doesn't have a clb it will lock sooner or later. The CLB may not work correctly if the recall has been done! (Damm)

Hmmm, also make sure power windows/locks and seats all work. Also make sure oil pressure level isnt pegged (bad oil pressure sensor). Check inside of tail pipe for oiley residue (oil consumption). Make sure all tire pressure sensors work. See if theres any evidence of leaks. Make sure reverse lights work. Check for brake pulsation. Also, check to see if the AC is able to REDIRECT airflow. Make sure all bulbs/buttons etc light up. Listen for squeeky belts/pulleys. If stock exhaust, check to see if mufflers lined up, they have a tendency to break at the H pipe's rear section.

Alot of these things can be corrected yourself. Check for leaks (esp transmission - although it may 'sweat'). Check condition of tires, if it wont pass your states inspection prepare to spend $$$ on new tires.

If anything is wrong, use that as leverage to lower the price (duhh) hehe.

Thanks guys - have printed off that sheet(s) on the codes via DIC.

Not sure it still has the tire pressure sensors. Currently has HRE 20s in back and 19 in front. 85% tread left on Yokahama tires.

Borla exhaust

Will certainly cycle the AC/vents. (something I didnt do on my 96 when I bought it)

Have already run up on an 01 with a non functioning driver's door lock button.. so know its possible to have any and all of those go kaput.

He has already offered to come down 800$ due to curb rash on the front spoiler/nose area.

Keep ya posted
Rain

a few more . . .

Wheel Rash
Air Filter - Clean or Dirty
Engine Compartment - Clean or Dirty
Alignment - Tires Worn Irregular/Weird
Heads-Up - Aligned & Working Properly - Cover Plate Not Damaged
Seals Not Damaged
Door Jams Not Scared

The CAR:

site1020.JPG

and the reverse angle:
site1022.JPG

I see you are making progress on that C-5, most of the things you listed are quite common, the Battery leaking would be the thing to worry about. As low as that sits I would be supprised if you didn't find any road rash.

My seats "rock" but I don't move the seat, there is supposed to be someone selling a bushing kit but I haven't found it yet.

Like I said before the gas gage thing can be lived with, just set your trips and use good gas with some techron every now and again.

good luck

ps it is definatly a head turner

Thanks everyone - I fly out on Sunday morning

Talked to the owner tonight.
He is the original owner.
Bought it when he first started making money in his career.
Job has him on the road alot so he bought an Escalade and no longer drives the Vette.
His dad is in the crane biz, and the owner wants to buy into that. So selling the Vette.

I have the VIN. Buying a Carfax in a minute and getting dealership to run the service history.

Owner is into cars (as is his dad - nice classic car collection) and I do not forsee any problems.

oh yea, the damage in the nose is from hitting a possum!

Good Luck Rain!!!!!! I'm going out in the shop and throw rocks at mine!!! That thing looks REALLY,REALLY REALLY, NICE!!!!!!!!!

Looks super fine! Make sure you get a clean title. If he owes on it you pay off directly to the lien holder & he gets the balance:)

Take a look at the front and rear mono springs, there is a tendancy to jack the car up under the springs by mistake. Just like with the C4, they can de-laminate.

Check undeer the front by the center spoiler, even though its designed to flex and is on springs the bar its mounted to can be damaged. I ran across a few of those.

LMAO!

Carfax is clean - again not the End all Be all, but certainly a piece of the puzzle.

drags1998 said:
Good Luck Rain!!!!!! I'm going out in the shop and throw rocks at mine!!! That thing looks REALLY,REALLY REALLY, NICE!!!!!!!!!

Check this out

VEHICLE INFORMATION
Merchandising Model : 1YY07 -2000 CORVETTE COUPE Warranty Start Date : 08/09/1999
BARS Order Type : 70 - RETAIL - STOCK
Delivering Dealer : WHITLOW CHEVROLET CORP.
PO BOX 35005
RICHMOND , VA 23235-0005
(804) 320-8000

OPEN RECALL:
LAP BELT WEBBING TWISTED 11/10/2000

OPEN RECALL:
ELECTRONIC COLUMN LOCK SYSTEM 07/26/2004

CLAIM HISTORY
R.O Date R.O Number Type Labor Operation Odometer Reading
06/18/2002 065613 # C0100 - GLASS, FRONT DOOR - RIGHT - ALIGN 27298 miles
06/18/2002 065613 # N6636 - WIRING AND/OR CONNECTOR - ENTRY CONTROL SYSTEMS - REPAIR O 27298 miles
06/18/2002 065613 # A9070 - HOUSING ASSEMBLY, HEADLAMP OPENING - RIGHT - REPAIR 27298 miles
06/18/2002 065613 # N6620 - WIRING AND/OR CONNECTOR - POWER & GROUNDS DISTRIBUTION - R 27298 miles
10/10/2000 116697 # H0127 - ROTOR ASSEMBLY - FRONT - BOTH - R&R OR REPLACE 14109 miles
10/10/2000 116697 # Z5000 - DEALER/RETAILER TRADE(PART OBTAINED LOCALLY) 14109 miles
10/10/2000 116697 # C0182 - REGULATOR, FRONT DOOR WINDOW - RIGHT POWER - R&R OR REPLAC 14109 miles
10/10/2000 116697 # R4490 - TRANSMITTER, REMOTE DOOR/REAR COMPARTMENT LOCK - REPLACE 14109 miles
08/31/1999 281602 # E0725 - SENSOR, LOW TIRE PRESSURE WARNING - REAR - LEFT - REPLACE 1308 miles
07/21/1999 500623 I Z7000 - PRE-DELIVERY INSPECTION - BASE TIME 0 miles

VEHICLE BUILD
Merchandising Model : 1YY07 -2000 CORVETTE COUPE

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating : 1693 kg (3733 lb) Order Number : BQGT6P

Build Date : 07/21/1999 Build Plant : 1Y5Y - BOWLING GREEN

OPTION CODES
AAB - MEMORY PACKAGE AG2 - SIX-WAY POWER PASSENGER SEAT
AK5 - DRIVER & PASSENGER SUPPLEMENTAL INFLATABLE RESTRAINT SYSTEM AQ9 - ADJUSTABLE SPORT BUCKET SEATS WITH LEATHER TRIMMED SEATING SURFACES
BGR - BOWLING GREEN PLANT B34 - COLOR-KEYED FRONT FLOOR MATS, CARPETED INSERTS
B84 - BODY SIDE MOLDINGS CJ2 - AIR CONDITIONING-ELECTRONIC DUAL ZONE
C2L - DUAL REMOVABLE ROOF PANELS DL5 - ROADSIDE SERVICE INFORMATION DECAL
DL8 - HEATED REARVIEW MIRRORS D42 - REAR COMPARTMENT LUGGAGE SHADE AND PARCEL NET
FE1 - SUSPENSION SYSTEM-SOFT RIDE F45 - SELECTIVE REAL TIME DAMPING
GU6 - REAR AXLE 3.42 RATIO IL3 - TRIM INTERIOR DESIGN-AQ9
JL4 - ACTIVE HANDLING SYSTEM JL9 - 4-WHEEL DISC ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM
K63 - 110 AMP GENERATOR LS1 - 5.7L LITER SFI, V8
MM6 - 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION MN6 - 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION
NC1 - CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS LEV NG1 - NORTHEAST EMISSIONS
NK4 - LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL N37 - STEERING COLUMN - POWER TELESCOPING & MANUAL TILT
QD4 - STYLED ALUMINUM WHEEL T82 - TWILIGHT SENTINEL
T96 - FOG LAMPS UN0 - AM/FM STEREO W/CD PLAYER
UV6 - HEAD UP DISPLAY UV7 - WINDSHIELD ANTENNA
UZ6 - BOSE SPEAKER & AMPLIFIER SYSTEM U1S - COMPACT 12 DISC CHANGER, REMOTE
U52 - ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTATION VM3 - CONSUMER INFORMATION LABEL
V49 - LICENSE PLATE FRAME V73 - STATEMENT OF VEHICLE CERT.-U.S. /CANADA
XGG - FRONT TIRE-P245/45ZR17 BW SBR YGH - REAR TIRE-P275/40ZR18 BW SBR
1SA - OPTION PACKAGE - BASE 19I - INT EBONY INTERIOR TRIM
193 - BLACK LEATHER TRIMMED SEATING SURFACE 41U - BLACK

Rain said:
Thanks everyone - I fly out on Sunday morning
oh yea, the damage in the nose is from hitting a possum!
The Coon I hit did more damage :L I bought a used bumper off Ebay, and will try to fix my old one as a "spare"

Just a hint, DO NOT drive it unless you are prepared to take it home ;LOL

why, cuz I will love it?

Great looking ride Rain!!!!!!!!!! How did you locate it? (i.e. e- bay, auto-trader etc.)Good luck on the inspection, Tim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom