Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

INSTALLING PKE ON 04 VETTE

Corvette
2004 Silver Coupe
I would like to install the PKE system on my 04 Vette. I know that it was discontinued because of problems, so if you feel that I'm making a mistake wanting to do this, I'd like to hear what the problems were. The real question is can it be installed on my 04 C5

Silverstreak04

Silverstreak04,
As far as I know, the PKE (or "Passive Keyless Entry," for those following this thread and curious what the initials mean) was only used in 1994 C4s. C4 owners can certain post in and correct this if I'm wrong.

I believe the reason that it only lasted a very short time as a Factory Installed feature was that the technology had some flaws. Key fobs, for instance, that would send an incorrect message to the car in the garage, because they were on the cusp of the transmission range, causing the car alarm to go off, or continually arm and disarm. Battery transmission that fluctuated wildly, so that the car would sometimes unlock when you got close, other times not.

My understanding is that among 1994 owners, the technological flaws were so frustrating, that many just turned the Passive part of the system off.

Now, this isn't to say there isn't a better designed/engineered aftermarket system out there. But if there is, I don't know anything about it.

You might try asking this question in the C4 General Discussion forum as well, as I suspect owners of '94s may have some information for you more detailed than what I've posted.

:w
-Patrick

PKE - spend your money on better mods, something you'll use.

My 99 Vert has a factory PKE system with a on/off switch on the key fob. I thought all C5 had it? I know they changed the fab in 2001. When I lost one fab and replaced it, it had to be programed to the vehicle by the dealer for a total cost of $150.00. The newer fabs can be had on e-bay for about $25.00 and do not require dealer programing. As to PKE itself I found it to be annoying. The car would open and close every time I walked near it and with horn sound enabled I got tired of all that beeping. To disable it I just turned it of at the fob.
:w

My '97 had it, and I kept it turned off. I found it to be useless and annoying.

PKE was available on 94-96 C4's and 97 to 99 or 00 C5's. I have mine in the off position all the time as well on my C5. The PKE system in my 95 worked much better and the C5 would unlock and lock the car randomly when the fob was in range. The C4 never did this. In the middle of the night I would hear the C5 horn chirp as the alarm was set throughout the night. Never had that problem with the C4 and the fobs were hung next to each other and the cars in the same garage.

I would look at other mods for the '04 given the same situation.

Leon

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom