Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Instrument cluster removal

Beobachter

Corvette
2006 Daytona Sunset Orange Roadster 1961 R/W
Want to install new instrument cluster in my 04 with the LED lighting. Where do I start to remove this cluster from the dash? Are all clusters the same? Is the Heads up display integral with this cluster or could I use another cluster from another C5 without Heads up?
Let me know whats up.
Thanks

CLUSTER REMOVAL

This is straight out of the gm service manual:
1.- disconnect negative battery cable
2.-remove I/P upper trim pad
3.-carefully lift the HUD display electrical harness from between the I/P cluster and HUD (if equiped)
4.-disconect the HUD connector from the I/P cluster (if equiped)
5.- remove the IPcluster to steering column bracket retaining screws.
6.- raise the rear of the IPcluster slightley to release the locator tab, then lift the IPcluster to access the electrical connector.
7.- disconnect the IPcluster electrical connector
8.- remove IP cluster

NOTE-- WHENEVER THE IP CLUSTER IS REMOVED FROM VEHICLE, DO NOT SET THE CLUSTER ON ITS FACE FOR MORE THAN 15 MINUTES OR DAMAGE TO THE FLUID FILLED AIR CORE GAGES WILL RESULT!!!!!!!!!

Reverse steps to install
9.-program the transmitters
10.-synshronize the transmitters.

sorry, could not send illustrations--protected.:upthumbs

Many thaxs. Does the HUD work independently of the instrument cluster? Have another dash without HUD. Does the module for HUD just bolt into cluster assembly. Please advise.

You don't have to remove the upper dash pad! I've had my IPC out three or four times already... Follow these instructions;

http://www.spdkilz.com/techtipleddic.html

All the clusters are the same and the HUD is an "add on" module connected via a ribbon cable that press fits into the top of the IPC;

Pic of me removing the HUD connector;

HUDcable.jpg

Here is a shot of the main connecor and the HUD connector on the right;

ipchole.jpg

BTW which gauge faceplates did you get???? I've been trying to get Red into my IPC for months and have only found ONE company that makes an acceptable product but we need 23 more pre-orders before they will begin fabrication...

Take care...

Thaxs. The site and pics are a real bonus. Now I think I can do this proceedure. I too was thinking red lights.
Most appreciated.

You can't go wrong with Red! But I may be biased!!!! :rotfl

PassengerSide.jpg

DriversSide2.jpg

This is straight out of the gm service manual:
1.- disconnect negative battery cable
2.-remove I/P upper trim pad
3.-carefully lift the HUD display electrical harness from between the I/P cluster and HUD (if equiped)
4.-disconect the HUD connector from the I/P cluster (if equiped)
5.- remove the IPcluster to steering column bracket retaining screws.
6.- raise the rear of the IPcluster slightley to release the locator tab, then lift the IPcluster to access the electrical connector.
7.- disconnect the IPcluster electrical connector
8.- remove IP cluster

NOTE-- WHENEVER THE IP CLUSTER IS REMOVED FROM VEHICLE, DO NOT SET THE CLUSTER ON ITS FACE FOR MORE THAN 15 MINUTES OR DAMAGE TO THE FLUID FILLED AIR CORE GAGES WILL RESULT!!!!!!!!!

Reverse steps to install
9.-program the transmitters
10.-synshronize the transmitters.

sorry, could not send illustrations--protected.:upthumbs
Does the HUD simply bolt into the IP? Any C5 IP will work in any car? I am confused. Thax

It bolts unto the underside of the upper dash pad and framing. The connector is a 10 pin slim line connector that press fits in. All IPC's have the 10 pin female connector on the top for the HUD connection, even 97 and 98s... So any Vette can fitted or HUD once you buy the HUD projector, bezel and cable...

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom