Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! instrument light and speedo access

tomgok

Corvette
76 L-48,coupe
I don't have any working instrument lights on my 76 vette. Can I get access from taking the top dash pad off to check the lights and get access to the speedo as it also is inop. It seems to work occasionally at speeds below 40mph. When you get up to 50 or more it sticks at 30. Any ideas from you guys would be appreciated.

Hate to be the bearer of not so good news, but removing the top of the dash won't gain hardly anything. And since you have to pull the speedo anyway, just bite the bullet and pull the left side dash. You'll need to drop the steering column too. Check the INST LPS fuse, and make sure to light switch is not rotated to the off position for the dash lights. (not picking at you at all- it's a very common thing, and east to miss).

Hate to be the bearer of not so good news, but removing the top of the dash won't gain hardly anything. And since you have to pull the speedo anyway, just bite the bullet and pull the left side dash. You'll need to drop the steering column too. Check the INST LPS fuse, and make sure to light switch is not rotated to the off position for the dash lights. (not picking at you at all- it's a very common thing, and east to miss).

I agree. Sometimes when they are working on your Vette they pull one end of the fuse out. I hope it is that simple.

I feel your pain on this one. I had to replace the tach gauge cable going to my distributor once. Taking the left side off is a real pain. Luckily I was able to drop it half way and wiggled my hand back there. I didn't have to drop the column. It looks like I'll be dropping the column some time this week though. I have a cracked speaker in my dash. :ugh It's fairly easy to do, just time consuming. As for the steering column, I think you need to remove the plastic under the steering column and there is a mount under it. I'm not positive on this. Can someone confirm how to lower the steering column?

I feel your pain on this one. I had to replace the tach gauge cable going to my distributor once. Taking the left side off is a real pain. Luckily I was able to drop it half way and wiggled my hand back there. I didn't have to drop the column. It looks like I'll be dropping the column some time this week though. I have a cracked speaker in my dash. :ugh It's fairly easy to do, just time consuming. As for the steering column, I think you need to remove the plastic under the steering column and there is a mount under it. I'm not positive on this. Can someone confirm how to lower the steering column?

You are right. Remove the plastic under the steering column and there are 2 mounting bolts under it. Remove them. If that is not enough clearance there are bolts on the firewall that can be loosened, to give you more clearance.:pat

Keep it simple. Check/replace the IP fuse first. Check the rheostat on the headlight switch second. If neither of those simple items solves the problem, then you can begin considering other possible sources. No sense tearing the dash apart if all you need is a fuse.

Check to ensure the speedo cable on the transmission has a good fit; check to ensure the connection on the rear of the speedo head is good.

Lube the speedo cable.

:thumb

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, I guess I will be taking the dash out.

Take the seat out as well, It's amazing how much work room you gain by doing this.

I don't have any working instrument lights on my 76 vette. Can I get access from taking the top dash pad off to check the lights and get access to the speedo as it also is inop. It seems to work occasionally at speeds below 40mph. When you get up to 50 or more it sticks at 30. Any ideas from you guys would be appreciated.
Answering the light issue, if all the lights are off you would not think bulbs. Probably "a" bad ground. Just for grins, jumper the neg lead of the battery to the center instrument cluster [bezel] metal . Pull the light switch on . All instrument gauge lights should illuminate. If none glow then you have a open in the hot lead to the cluster.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom