Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Insulation coming out of dash vents

Teacupfox

Corvette
1995 Dk Green Metallic
The weather was cool yesterday so I decided to put the “outside air” on. I went for gas. When I got home and went to get out there was insulation on my shoes and the floor. I ended up spending well over an hour with the fan speed on 10, forceps in hand, and pulled out numerous globs of what looks like insulation from ALL of the dash vents. I went through the whole series of vent buttons as well to change up where the air would vent. Additional “ insulation” came out of the “ knee” vents as well. Some insulation even came came out the windshield vent when I pushed the defrost button. Very recently I had a check valve put in as there was NO AC coming out of the dash vents, ONLY the windshield vent, which was causing condensation on the outside of the windshield and I would have to turn on my wipers to clear it. AND I was also getting AC at the ” knee” vents. This condition was when I had it in AUTO mode, which I always use. A check valve solved the problem, and I got air from the dash vents. However, this was the FIRST TIME I had it on “outside air“ since the valve was put in. I had used “ outside air” last fall with no problem. My Vette is a ‘95. It has 69,000 miles and has been extremely well kept. I am the seventh owner. The first two owners put the bulk of the mileage on it, the rest of us have been “ Sunday“ drivers. Any thoughts how the insulation got into the air ducts? A mystery.
MYSTERY SOLVED. A varmint trying to make its winter home. Vents are all cleaned out....Put out lotsa bait...that should solve the problem!

Last edited:
I don't have any idea but maybe check with the shop that did the check valve replacement, maybe they give you insight on how that could happen. Insulation shouldn't be part of the ducts that are plastic passageways with insulation being only on the outside?

I don't have any idea but maybe check with the shop that did the check valve replacement, maybe they give you insight on how that could happen. Insulation shouldn't be part of the ducts that are plastic passageways with insulation being only on the outside?
The vacuum check valve was a quick snap out old one and install new, they only charged me for the part $17 no labor, cheapest fix I ever had.! Nothing was taken apart. All the vents provide proper air flow.

The vacuum check valve was a quick snap out old one and install new, they only charged me for the part $17 no labor, cheapest fix I ever had.! Nothing was taken apart. All the vents provide proper air flow.
The insulation is from the foam seals in the HVAC ducts. Common after this many years! The vacuum ck valve coast about $4.00 at AutoZone, Advance A/P, O’Reilly A/P on the HELP Rack.

I understand the "critter" only too well. First time I turned the furnace on in the 5th wheel this fall, nothing happened. A little troubleshooting and I discovered that a critter had made quite a nest in the blower...

And, as a side note, been using this stuff for years in both my car, truck and trailer that pretty much get parked for the winter. The truck gets three in the engine compartment, one in the cab. the car gets two in the engine compartment, one in the cab and one in the trunk. The 5th wheel gets four spaced out throughout the floor. No issues since I started using them.
4205547.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom