Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Insurance costs

I pay 1800 for liability on the vette (not driving right now) and 1 94 jeep GC
what a rip. The old corvette cost more then the Audi i just sold
But I am 39 and single so I guess I should be street drag racing and driving wreckless to earn my high premiums.

Thanks for the input everybody.

It looks like I'll just have to shop around when the time comes and find the best policy possible. As far as snow driving goes, I've pretty much decided to get myself a Jeep Wrangler 4x4, which is a car I've always wanted and the 2 door is supposedly one of the cheapest cars to insure, or perhaps a nice truck, and then garage policy the vette for the winter. I suppose insuring the vette as "occasionally driven" would help too, although I'm not sure how much I'll be driving it.

I pay 1800 for liability on the vette (not driving right now) and 1 94 jeep GC
what a rip. The old corvette cost more then the Audi i just sold
But I am 39 and single so I guess I should be street drag racing and driving wreckless to earn my high premiums.

I know right?

Quite annoying that good drivers are getting ripped off back and forth because of other irresponsible idiots and people who don't know how to drive.

I pay $550 on my ZR-1 with agreed value of $40,000.I have a daily driver,the Corvette comes out on weekend or whenever I want to go for a drive.I had AMIG for years on my other Corvette and a 64 Nova.I had a claim on the Nova,not my fault and got every type of bull$hit run around you could imagine an insurance company can pull.After years with AMIG I canceled and took my business to Grundy.

in illinois so not sure about wisconsin.....but,

I have a cheap second vehicle. A 94 ranger but it helps with a multi car discount and reliable tranportation during winter months, which I would be sure is an issue in Wisconsin. I'm not sure but definitly something worth looking into. 38male full coverage progressive is 85 a month for bith vehicles. truck is liabilty only though but mileage on vette is unlimited per year unlike other policies are.

I have a cheap second vehicle. A 94 ranger but it helps with a multi car discount and reliable tranportation during winter months, which I would be sure is an issue in Wisconsin. I'm not sure but definitly something worth looking into. 38male full coverage progressive is 85 a month for bith vehicles. truck is liabilty only though but mileage on vette is unlimited per year unlike other policies are.

Thats a pretty good deal. I'll keep progressive in mind.

I've heard good things about Rangers too. My brother's friend who lives up in the mountains often has to drive it in snow. He flipped it over in a ditch once. He was fine, got up and walked home. They called some people, flipped the truck back over and got it out of the ditch and he started it up and drove to work. Only damage done was a nice new dent on one side, I guess from a rock or stump. Its not so bad. A truck thats a little scruffy and beaten up just has more character IMO. Kinda like a muddy Jeep. Looks like they've been doing what they were designed to do. I definitely don't want a second car that will only look good with a showroom shine. One can be enough trouble!

I recall my first vette back in 1988....I wanted the car so bad that I never researched the insurance cost.
I ended up with a monthly payment back then of $820, and the ins was something like $1100 down and an additional $150 a month for 5 months of the 6 month policy.
After digging a pretty deep hole for myself with that one, next time I got it covered as an RV (yes, for real) since I had a 2nd car that was also covered and cut the cost in half or more. But, No driving it to work, weekdays during normal business hrs, and milege was restricted per month.

I should add that At that time I was 29, single and had some kind of moving violation on record. Some ins companies laughed and hung up.....

State Farm was one of about 3 would work with me.
Age is a huge factor. Its well worth it to buy a beater to list as the primary car and the financial returns will be obvious. A spread sheet would demonstrate what the cost of the 2nd car should be to break even in base cost. Another way of savings is less wear on the vette when there is another car for M-F daytime. That alone is worth a fortune.

not my fault and got every type of bull$hit run around you could imagine an insurance company can pull.After years with AMIG I canceled
Ditto, after 30+ years with USAA. They're polite, but suck and have zero in the way of solid character or ethics, in my experience with myself and my son.

Oh, the 'refund' they send, lowers the premium to what everyone else pays, based upon my recent shopping for insurance.

I was quite glad to turn 25.

just got my renewal from AAA for my zr1s and it dropped almost 40% to 1070 for all 3 cars 100,000 300,000 ,250 deduct with a 15k milage cap per car for the year

Ask the AAA auto club about their rates, they're also handy for those pesky on-the-road issues to get you out of trouble, too.

i have a correction on my aaa rates. after my member discount for being with them for 20 yrs they were 736 for the whole year on both my zr1s full coverage with a 500 deduct. and one of them is a 1 0f 16 callaway 475 super natural with a 20k mile limit on each car . pretty darn good rates if you ask me

Are there any tricks or companies I should know about that can minimalize my costs?

Yup - make your deductible $1,000. It will lower your premium SUBSTANTIALLY - probably several hundred $. The catch is that you HAVE TO save the difference, til you have $1k, and you can't burn it.

Get your car wrinkled by your own texting, guess what you don't get back until you fork out the $$? NopE.

We need to see YOUR pic too uH HUh yUP! ;)

As an insurance underwriter whos company was bought out and I am getting ready to get laid off a couple of things: find an agent, NOT a broker. Brokers (in general in CA) charge a huge premium to the insured. They also get commission from the company who writes the policy. I know in non standard in CA that there are mileage variables, good driver discounts, etc. At 20, check for a standard company as it will be cheaper than a non standard. State FArm is a great cmpany(for my wife and me) as we have had other insurance companies want to compare to get our business and cannot come close. Good luck and you have a greaat looking car.:thumb

O.K. another thing to consider, I did not see that you were moving to WI. During the winter, put you r car in the garage, winterize it and drop covergae to comp only. DO NOT drive the car with comp only. Before you plan on driving it, call your agent and add full coverage back. I have seen many people do this. Your car will be covered for damage while parked or if stolen.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom