Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

intake manifold gasket question

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
hi guys
over last winter went I had a lot of things apart than was putting them back together again I used intake manifold gaskets from Paragon. These are the "reproduction" gaskets with the correct tabs, and the thing that I liked about them was that there isn't excess material showing outside the edges of the intake like on the "universal" gaskets. I really DON'T want to see excess gasket material past the edges of the intake.
I was very happy with the gaskets in that they don't leak at all but they also covered up the crossover ports.

These are the gaskets:
http://www.corvette-paragon.com/catalog/Product.aspx?id=C1DBF3F4-7926-4AD9-AAD5-38C67323914C

931K_full1.png

The problem is that by covering up the crossover ports it created a strange and annoyinng "fluttering" sound thru the exhaust and really changed how the sidepipes sound. I don't like it at all! The fact that's it's the blocked cossovers was confirmed by a couple of others on "the other site" who had the same issue when they did the exact same thing.

so....... I want to replace these gaskets with something else. Does anyone know if there are any intake gaskets similar to these without all the excess gasket material past the edges off the intake but with the open crossover ports? Since I don't do the judging thing I can live without the "correct" tabs that these current ones have.

Thanks for any help!

Barry

Barry,

I'm not sure, but can't you just cut or punch out the part of the gasket that covers the crossover port ?

Bernie O

Yup, just cut them out.

thanks guys.
Yep, I've since discovered after posting this that I believe the SS plates used to block the crossovers are actually simply removable.
i'm going to reorder a another set of the same gaskets from Paragon again and just remove the blocking plates so it should be just what i'm looking for - a nice gasket with no excess material to see and open crossover ports.
If they don't simply remove as i'm lead to believe than I'll just cut them open.

thanks guys! :)

I'll just cut them open.

thanks guys! :)

Barry a simple way to cut gaskets to the exact size you want ,is to lay them in place and tap around the edge with a ball pein hammer.

I don't know how to explain "Tap" to you except to say your only tapping it enough to break through the gasket.

I may have explained it before but as a kid growing up my play ground was a salvage yard. and all of the equipment we repaired ,we would use rolls of gasket material and make all of our own gaskets with a ball pein hammer

Larry...

Nice trick.

I cut mine out using a utility knife. Not pretty but last time I checked, the heads covered that up pretty well.:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom