Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Intake manifold

spikebot 81

Corvette
81 white, not stock
I just noticed the intake on my 81 non matching engine is the origanal aluiminum gm intake painted orange. Can someone tell me if a aftermarket intake will make any performance gains. No emisions in this state. All smog stuff is removed and I built a plate for egr. . Engine that P.O. had installed is 40 over, flat top pistons,194 heads, mild cam. I'm planing ceramic headers, true duals,600 edlb carb, new distributor. Thanks for your help.

I just noticed the intake on my 81 non matching engine is the origanal aluiminum gm intake painted orange. Can someone tell me if a aftermarket intake will make any performance gains. No emisions in this state. All smog stuff is removed and I built a plate for egr. . Engine that P.O. had installed is 40 over, flat top pistons,194 heads, mild cam. I'm planing ceramic headers, true duals,600 edlb carb, new distributor. Thanks for your help.
If it was mine I'd go with the one you have!!You not going to gain that much if any,for 2-$300.00!;shrugJust my $.02;shrug:upthumbs

Thanks Junkie, Your knowledge is very valued here with all the members. So stock aluminum intake it is.

I agree totally considering your setup. Almost any aftermarket intake will be taller too which could get you into hood clearance problems.

Tom

Tom, Thanks for the reply. I sure dont want to change the hood on this car, its cool just like it is. I would also like to use the stock air cleaner. So orange paint and all will stay on the engine.

I agree that it would be not that beneficial with regards to performance gains but if you were to replace the intake manifold and not want to worry about hood clearance issues then you could go with the Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold $120. OEM Qjet will bolt right on. And it looks great!

Agreed. I have the Performer as well. Fits fine under the hood. I've been told it adds a few ponies, but not many (with stock motor).

-Tatortot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom