Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Interior Temperature

Tomrw

Corvette
2000 Black Conv. Bassani Exhaust.
I would like a suggestion on how to cool down the temperature in the interior of the car short of running the AC all the time.

Welcome to CAC. Sorry but I don't have the answer except for leaving your windows cracked open. I am sure you will get other responses shortly. I have a question about the A/C, defroster. When I turn them on, either one, it sounds like it is working, but it feels like nothing is coming out. Does anyone have an recommendations or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the sugestion. On your issue at a low fan speed I can still feel very little air moving from the vents, at high fan speeds there is no question it's working.

That's good as long as it is working. I think I may be having a problem with mine and was wondering if you or anyone else is having any problems.

Interior temp reduction-guaranteed

Leave all your windows down, smash out the front window and drive only in Canada in the winter.

Re: Interior temp reduction-guaranteed

ZR100060 said:
Leave all your windows down, smash out the front window and drive only in Canada in the winter.

:upthumbs

The solution of the day. Well done!

:_rock

Ray

Tint the windows, this blocks out some of the UV rays wich warms the interior, hence providing you a cooler ride.

Hot Interior

The only solution that I know of is to wrap the exhaust with thermoglass exhaust wrap. This product looks like a 2" wide fiberglass cloth type tape. It comes in 50 ft. legnths, and can withstand temperatures of 2000 degrees. It is held on with hose clamps.
They say it reduces heat in the driver's compartment. If you go to www.madirect.com they sell it for $40.00/50 ft. roll. It is part #106-107. There is also a Heatmaster shield that lines the exterior of the driveshaft tunnel. This keeps heat off your tranny from the exhaust, and prevents your tranny from conducting heat into the interior. If you have an automatic, this will cool your interior down. If you have a standard, it will also work, but isn't as bad as the automatic transfer temp. problem. The part number of the Heatmaster is #612-062. ($369.99) WOW! To call and phone order either part is 1-800-500-8388 Good Luck!

Dan's ac and defroster

Dan, Do you mean you don't have any airflow? If so, it could be a motorized damper that is bad or stuck in the closed position.

Todd:

Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like I need the more expensive solution. Isn't that the only way.

Tom
:bash

Re: Dan's ac and defroster

TODD L GRIFFITH said:
Dan, Do you mean you don't have any airflow? If so, it could be a motorized damper that is bad or stuck in the closed position.
Yes, I feel a little air coming in but not much. There is more noise than air flowing. Sounds like it is working but doesn't feel like it.

Re: Dan's ac and defroster

danl72, I suggest you scroll down and look at a different thread that is also in the 1997 - 2000 section titled 'A/C Heater Problems'. Your issue sounds like the same challenge that is described in that thread. I have also had this issue arise and in my case it too was simply a vacuum hose with a vacuum hole. Good luck!

For reference (or for what it's worth), last week in the Northeast we had a heatwave of biblical proportions for April. The OAT (oustide air temp.) reading on my dash hit 106 fahrenheit on a particularly hot section of road near Philly. It was actually too hot to consider going topless.

Inside, the car was icy cold and if I punched up the fan speed all the way it created an internal tornado that would blow your wig off.

Put another way, the a/c on the 2002 C5 is superb - good enough to chill the beer on the way there - when it's working properly.

Best of luck gettin' frosty again.

The way you worded your question when starting this thread it sounds like you just don't care to run the A/C. Am I correct in assuming this? If so, there is no cure, sometimes it just has to be operating, when the outside air is hot and humid, it doesn't matter how much air you flow through any car, you will not feel cool. You should have ample HP to outrun most cars you encounter if that's what is troubling you. Above a certain point when depressing the gas pedal, the A/C compressor is disabled to allow more power availability to the rear wheels. So if you need the power for passing, you should have it.
Was that what brought up the original issue / question?
vettepilot :drink have a tall cool one, that should help.

Vettepilot:

Thanks for the input. It has never been an issue of power. My wife often complains of hot feet and legs when riding with the top up or down and I feel the same. If I run the AC that solves the problem, I just feel the corvette engineers missed something. The suggestions by Todd in a prior post made a lot of sense. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE the car, but Chevrolet should have gotten the air flows right to begin with. My background is engineering and I guess I just like to see perfection.

:)

Try using the bi-level mode or send ALL the air down through the lower ducts once in a while to flow more cool air down around the foot wells area. I do this myself on very hot days. Remember there is an engine running at 200 degrees within inches of your feet, exhaust manifolds with temps waaay up there also. Most cars with big V-8 engines have a much larger engine bay with some room for all that heat to dissipate. The Vette, and many other Sports cars, and GT cars have a big engine shoehorned into a small engine bay because of the smaller body of that type of vehicle. That heat has to go someplace, and unfortunately it usually doesn't go down.
When you direct the cool air into the lower ducts try increasing the fan speed, with the air exiting down there the higher fan speed noise isn't as obtrusive compared to when it's directed to the dash ducts.
vettepilot

TOMRW FELLOW ENGINEER

Hey that's great! One engineer to another who knows great cars.
I own a firm that provides building engineering services. Talk about heat transfer, and you have my ear. We design Plumbing, Fire Protection, HVAC, Electrical and Fire Alarm systems for commercial and institutional type buildings. What type dicipline are you?

Todd:
Thanks for the note!
I am an ME with MBA. My partner and I have consulting firm that specializes in medical quality, regulatory and manufacturing systems. We assist companies with product development, getting products through the FDA and scale up for commercialization.

I Love My Vette, I just want to see perfection in the C6.
Tom (another engineer)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom