Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Intermittent Instrument Panel Lights in C5

MMM

Proud to Support the Corvette Action Center!
Corvette
'63 Coupe, '72 Convert, '02 Z06
Twice in the past month the instrument lights on my '02 Z06 would not come on when I turned on the headlights. Both times it was twilight and I did notice the instrument lights came on as I opened the driver's door. Put the key in and the lights go off. Turn on the head lights and no intrument lights. I checked the dimmer and it was turned fully clockwise (brightest setting). Then tried turning the dimmer fully counterclockwise then back clockwise. Still no lights.
Finally used the main switch on the turn signal stalk to turn the headlights on and off. After 4 tries the instrument lights came on. This was a month ago and then the entire scenario repeated itself again last night. Tried to get the problem to repeat, but once the lights finally came on, they continued to come during further testing. I use the car infrequently; total mileage is 6800.
I know that this problem will not go away. So has anybody else experienced the same? Where should I be looking to solve this problem?
Thanks,
Mike

It is out of warranty and I don't trust any of the local dealers or their mechanics.
The last time I took a GM vehicle back to the dealer for service, I ended up diagnosing the problem myself and directing the repairs. I had just purchased the nine month old vehicle from the original buyer because he was sick of returning it to get the same problem repaired (15 times in 8 months). They remembered me because when I later returned to get a battery replaced under warranty, I was asked to go into the shop to help diagnose problems with another customer's car which they had not figured out after numerous returns. And yes, I found the problem. I am not bragging, but the situations illustrate a major problem with auto service today, a lack of problem solving ability. If the mechanics cannot pick up the problem from computer trouble codes, then they are lost.
I think I will go ahead and order the shop manuals today. All I need is a wiring diagram.
Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom