Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is 20 HP worth 250$ ??

Would you spend $250 for 20 HP?

• Yes

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • Other (please explain in a response)

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

74bigblock

Corvette
2008 Z06
For those of you who like to mod... if you could add 20 or more HP for $250, would you?

Is this RWHP or off the flywheel. Even though I already said yes, I figured I would ask.

I voted no just to change the results to something other than %100 yes.

The issue at hand is that I have a Edelbrock performer dual plane intake on my work bench. It came with the car when I bought it. This intake will not fit under the stock hood of a big block Vette. There is a single plane intake called the Torker II that will fit. It's $200 plus shipping and bolts, gaskets etc. It's not going to give me near as much power as the dual plane on my bench, but I suppose it's better than leaving it stock. The alternative is to go buy a high rise hood for $5-600 and have that test fitted with the intake, and pray it fits. If it does, then the hood would need to be finished and painted. If not, then the intake comes back off and I go back to stock?? Sounds like a PITA to me. I'd rather get some power, do it once, and not have to worry about fitting and hoods and all that.

Make sense?

By, simply changing the intake only (regardless which one, even if it's really +20HP) ... I doubt if you're gonna feel much more in the seat of your pants than a thinner wallet. 20 more hp on a civic is a lot ... but it's not so much on a BBC.
JACK:gap

Of course it's worth it, you can never have too much horsepower.:D

Jack said:
By, simply changing the intake only (regardless which one, even if it's really +20HP) ... I doubt if you're gonna feel much more in the seat of your pants than a thinner wallet. 20 more hp on a civic is a lot ... but it's not so much on a BBC.
JACK:gap

I have a feeling I will see more than 20HP. This is the expected on a stock LS4 motor. I have a honkin camshaft, bored 30 over, hyd roller rockers, and open headers. It may give me more like 30-40, and I would feel that in the seat of my pants. To be honest... $250 is no skin off my back. I can always sell the intake if it is not up to snuff. Also, if it is up to snuff... I can sell that Performer intake on my bench, and the extra stock hood I have.

I'm in the process of doing the reverse, removing a Torker II from my BB, and putting a dual plane mainfold on. Picked up a L-88 hood to fit in under. Haven't quite got there yet, as I also swapped out the cam, and now in the process of replacing valve springs and seals.

74BB, if you're interested the Torker II is for sale.

NJ BB Ken

:beer

windrider50 said:
I'm in the process of doing the reverse, removing a Torker II from my BB, and putting a dual plane mainfold on. Picked up a L-88 hood to fit in under. Haven't quite got there yet, as I also swapped out the cam, and now in the process of replacing valve springs and seals.

74BB, if you're interested the Torker II is for sale.

NJ BB Ken

:beer

Hey Ken, thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it once I figure out what I'm going to do. What kind of gains did you see when you installed your Torker? I'm assuming they weren't fantastic if you are in route to my original objective... high rise hood and dual plane. Let me know yyour feelings on that Torker!

-Dave

to pick up that much HP by changing your intake, wouldn't you really have to be choking your motor with the one on there now...if you are at 425hp now, i would be really curious to see the dyno after changing it....i change my LS6 highrise to an AirGap and all it did was move the HP and torque curve up the rpm's a few hundred..did not give me any more power....
what made the most difference was uncapping the JCL baffles in the side pipes..i picked up 30 rwhp by doing that...

1BAD69 said:
to pick up that much HP by changing your intake, wouldn't you really have to be choking your motor with the one on there now...if you are at 425hp now, i would be really curious to see the dyno after changing it....i change my LS6 highrise to an AirGap and all it did was move the HP and torque curve up the rpm's a few hundred..did not give me any more power....
what made the most difference was uncapping the JCL baffles in the side pipes..i picked up 30 rwhp by doing that...

The LS4 stock intake is a known bottleneck. It's quite possibly the worst BB manifold ever produced, and is very different from the stock manifold on your LS6. I agree with you on the baffles... I removed my hooker inserts... they are wide open pipes!

h.p

you will never stop wanting more h.p.!so 200 now,500 later...just get a supercharger and cut to the chase!you want power,that's where to get it.or like me when i had my 95,you can nickel and dime yourself to death,with minimal gains,or go for the s.c. and turn 12's at the track.good luck.and yes i'd probably spend 250 for 20!

hardnoks said:
you will never stop wanting more h.p.!so 200 now,500 later...just get a supercharger and cut to the chase!you want power,that's where to get it.or like me when i had my 95,you can nickel and dime yourself to death,with minimal gains,or go for the s.c. and turn 12's at the track.good luck.and yes i'd probably spend 250 for 20!

I'm already turning 12's at the track :W .... I just want to make her breath better without altering the hood!

I voted "no", but then I took a look at the over-all picture from a different angle.

20hp @ $250
Okay...
If your engine makes 300hp, divided by 20 = 15, 15 x $250 = $3750 for that 300hp engine. At those prices of unguaranteed add-on power, I'd rather buy a crate engine and be done with guessing and hoping.

Do hope your problem is solved satisfactorily.
Heidi

74bigblock, I changed out my original winters manifold for a Torker II years ago and have been very happy with the results. I also changed the carb to a holley 850 double pumper. Never had it on the dyno but it is alot stronger than the original set up. Best of all, like you said, I didn'y have to cut the hood. I would and did spend the $250. Steve

When you've got a stock L-48 20 hp is a 10% gain. Yes, $250.00 is worth that. To me anyway.:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom