Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is 20 HP worth 250$ ??

Would you spend $250 for 20 HP?

• Yes

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • Other (please explain in a response)

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
I'm not looking to replace my motor... I'm quite happy with it... it runs great! Infact... I just did plugs... and the old ones came out text book clean. I am interested in replacing the intake manifold to take advantage of the other modifications already done to the car, enhace the asthetic look of the engine bay, and as a learning project. I have never done an intake manifold before. I know it's not difficult, but there is something to be said for doing mods yourself, and enjoying the added pleasure they bring you from knowing you did it yourself, and the direct result of the mod... MORE POWER :drool: !!

I thank you all for participating in my un-scientific poll.

I have decided to move forward with the purchase of said Torker II intake manifold, with one caveat... I need to ensure there is an accessory Vaccum T provision!!!

-Dave

i'd throw some junkyard vac. op. exhaust dumps for $20 and 20 horse. save the $230 towards a blower.

I voted yes on the 20 hp gain. I would like for mine to be around 300RWHP. I am at 253 RWHP so I need to add about 50 RWHP to my setup to get there. I have a performer intake and would like to add the RPM Airgap intake. I am sure that would add a little to my total.

78SilvAnniv said:
I voted "no", but then I took a look at the over-all picture from a different angle.

20hp @ $250
Okay...
If your engine makes 300hp, divided by 20 = 15, 15 x $250 = $3750 for that 300hp engine. At those prices of unguaranteed add-on power, I'd rather buy a crate engine and be done with guessing and hoping.

Do hope your problem is solved satisfactorily.
Heidi

I like your perspective, Heidi. I agree! And I also think that if its guaranteed that the 20 Hp is the result, then it is a good investment. A lot of times one has to read the tiny print they use for a disclaimer. Often they advertise "20 HP Gain!", but the tiny print may say "engine running 11:1 compression, headers, X cam, X rear axle ratio, and so on. If your car does not have those improvements, then its pretty much a long shot that you'll gain the claimed result. Today, crate engines are priced nicely for the most part.

GerryLP:cool

Exactly! Percentage matters, not raw numbers....

Jack said:
20 more hp on a civic is a lot ... but it's not so much on a BBC.
JACK:gap

If you're in a marginal racer working with a baseline less than the L48 mine came with (long, long before I owned it), then 20 hp is a lot - even more in a hollowed out 2400 pound special waiting to disintegrate on the next pot hole.

If you have a 450hp mill in a 3500 pound car, 20hp is irrelevant and unnoticeable except in some tight class racing event.

Case in point - my original steel pulleys were put together improperly (misaligned the alignment holes) by my incompetent engine builder and cracked apart. I couldn't find any at the time (everybody was out), so I reluctantly ordered the March reducer pulley set for - oddly, $250ish. (They don't make the standard size for our puppies.) Now March products are finely made, have a great appearance and are a tiny bit lighter (I think - it's not by much) but their primary claim to fame is recovering as much as 20hp by cheating PS, alternator, and, most critically, water pump.

Cooling was always marginal on my beastie, even with all the upgrades - with this albatross engine - and, sure enough, the reduction in water pump speed made it slightly worse. I didn't even hesitate when I found someone who had the original pulleys and, not only paid $250 for the 20 hp, but then DUMPED the 20hp just for more reliability - and pumped in another $90 for good measure!

If I had a 12#/hp ricer that I could make 1.1#/hp increase for $250, then sure - but with an 8#/hp car, the increase of 0.4#/hp for just less reliability was worth paying in reverse to avoid.

I voted "no".

BTW, this POS engine, factoring in all the defects, breakdowns, etc., has run over $22/hp....:mad ....so planning theory is one thing, execution another! :cry

Oh that's true - and I voted "No" on this one!

Hey you don't specify, so I assume your trucks are a Ford and a Toyota?

:D

1970 Stingray said:
Yep! :Twist

On HP TV last year, they spent $1,000 to soup-up a Honda Civic. Net result? ;shrug

They went from 80 RWHP to 100 RWHP.

I think you mean FWHP ;) . I'm sure the Civic boys only DREAM about having RWHP.

THREAD REVIVAL!!!

Resurrecting this thread...more or less.

So now that 9 months has passed since you first posted...What did you end up doing? I woulda done the hood swap because eventually you'd need the clearance anyways... It's what I did on mine..

This is an old post but I'm new so if it's still pending? PERFORMER RPM!

If your best time is still 13.4 @ 102 mph I'll bet you will see a 13.3 or better @ 105, maybe 106 mph with the RPM. The RPM is a very good intake. On a pretty warm 496 with Edelbrock oval port heads and Crane hdy roller cam the RPM beat a Victor Jr intake across the board. With this setup I expected the RPM to produce more bottom end and mid-range and the Victor Jr to beat it out on the top end. The RPM kicked it's butt all the way from 3,500 to 6,300 rpm. I'm guessing more head and cam and the Victor Jr would come into it's own, but on the street? The RPM beats the TORKER as well, though I didn't try one on this motor.

Al

By, simply changing the intake only (regardless which one, even if it's really +20HP) ... I doubt if you're gonna feel much more in the seat of your pants than a thinner wallet. 20 more hp on a civic is a lot ... but it's not so much on a BBC.
JACK:gap

But an increase of torque is always welcomed!

So, you're a sheet disturber? I can relate :L

Resurrecting this thread...more or less.

So now that 9 months has passed since you first posted...What did you end up doing? I woulda done the hood swap because eventually you'd need the clearance anyways... It's what I did on mine..

What hood do you have Evolution?

I would definately spend $250 for an additional 20 hp. No brainer for me. As others here said, more power is better and addictive. 20 more hp would never be enough but it would be temporarily satisfying...

I voted OTHER, because I feel if that was the first extra 20 HP, it might not be the best deal, but if it was the last 20HP you were trying to get, it would be a bargain. That last little boost is always high dollar per HP. With more than $250, I would have to agree that the Vortec heads are pound for pound and dollar for dollar the best bang for the buck for souping up the Chevy smallblock. Only drawback with them is you need the intake to fit them.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom