Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Is Axle squeak dangerous... ! ?

L

LastOfTheV8's

... either to my bank account or my safety!? Has anyone ever heard a loud squeak coming from the underside (sounds like from between the rear wheels) during normal acceleration?? I first noticed it about a year back, happening maybe once a week, always at low speed and precisely when she reached 2000rpm during mild acceleration. Now it happens almost every time the car increases speed, with the exception of hard acceleration and WOT. The car is automatic, has 65,000 miles and in the 18 months I have owned it I have had no transmission work done at all, well other than changing the ATF. I hope someone out there knows what the hell I am talking about! Thanks in advance ;help

Sounds very similar to what happened with my 88 a few ago, turned out to be u-joints. If so, it could be very dangerous to your bank account if it comes apart and takes out anything in the process. Good luck.

Thanks Joe, I'll have those checked in the new year, and start pricing them online. Did you do the work yourself? And where did you buy the u-Joints from ?

Start by checking to make sure the bolts and nuts holding the C-beam to the rear axle and the transmission are properly tightened. See the Service Manual for the procedure.

Is the squeaking cyclical during acceleration or does it just squeak once when you transistion to accel then again when you lift off the gas?

Thanks Joe, I'll have those checked in the new year, and start pricing them online. Did you do the work yourself? And where did you buy the u-Joints from ?

The parts are not expensive and my buddy and I installed all new. It took us three or four hours to complete if I remember correctly.

Is the squeaking cyclical during acceleration or does it just squeak once when you transistion to accel then again when you lift off the gas?

I think the second option you gave describes it very closely, during transition to acceleration, it generally occours once in any one period of accel (and always with light application of throttle, so its continual in town driving) and definitely happens on lifting off the gas too, whether at 15mph or 35. Occasionally if I press the throttle slightly and hold it there (when the traffic in front prevents further use or higher speed) the squeak can be long and drawn out, lasting untill speed or rpm changes again, and disappearing in the instant it does. There are no vibrations or thumps accompanying the squeak (that i can detect) it is just noise at the moment but since it has grown exponentially worse it is obvious that something is suffering.. I hope this helps clarify the symptoms. Thank you for replying :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom