Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Is it a "Stingray" or not?????

Not quite, 69-76s had Stingray badges. All of them- as standard equipment. Not an option. Pretty silly thing to do as the car was then nicknamed a 'shark' which is a different species.

63-67 Corvettes had Sting Ray badges as standard equipment, but they're not nicknamed sharks. We call them 'midyears' instead because they're the 2nd generation out of the present six.

The 53-62 is called a solid axle possibly because the two rear axles are not solidly connected as with a positraction diff.

The 84-96 car sometimes gets called a clam for some strange reason.

All straight now? :thumb
Just to add some confusion. 63-67 Were Sting Ray. 69-76 were Stingray. What about the 68? It was a Sting Ray. No badges but in ads and Chevy publications it was referred to as a Sting Ray.

The Clam name for the C4 is for the clam-shell hood config.

tom...

It's from Shakespeare's Hamlet, albeit a misquote. Should have said hoisted on my own petard.

Origin of the word:

The word petard comes from the Middle French peter, to break wind, from pet expulsion of intestinal gas, from Latin peditum, from neuter of peditus, past participle of pedere, to break wind; akin to Greek bdein to break wind. (Merriam-Webster) Petard remains a French word meaning a firecracker today (in French slang, it means a handgun, or a joint).

The continuation of the Stingray name on the C3 made no sense from a styling perspective. For me, a C2 is a stingray and a C3 is a mako shark.

Honestly, I think I only had one person ask me if my Vette was a 'Stingray'. I just said 'They stopped callin em that in 76'

I've never called mine a Stingray, but I have had the "general public" refer to it as one. The strange thing is it is listed as a Stingray on the title, but I guess maybe it all depends on how someone at the DMV types it up.:v

It`s a sting Ray, Not a StingRay

For all C3 experts out there.....

I've had my 78 SA for almost a year now, have read and posted numerous
threads etc but someone tell me if mine is a "Stingray" or not?????

thanx in advance for your comments and thoughts etc....

antique78vette

It`s a Sting Ray , Not a StingRay , Do you see the diff.;LOL

As time moves further away from the C3's... (getting close to 30 years since the last one was made!)...perhaps ALL C3's may be referred to as Stingrays or Sharks by those where were not born yet.

Teaching at a college (with freshmen born in 1992! Gasp!) I've found that they all look at the C3 body style as Stingrays by default.

I gave up trying to correct them.:W

Some of us "OLD" Corvette guys don't consider ANY Corvette EXCEPT those produced from '63 through '67 as REAL Stingrays OR Sting Rays.;)

I hate the "C" designations just as bad. When some kid that wasn't even born when most of my Corvettes were built comes by and starts babbllin' about C-this and C-that I have to take my socks off and use my toes to try and figure out what years he's talkin' about. Straight axles (sometimes called early models), mid years and late models.............. that's the only 3 categories.:duh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom