Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is Mobil 1 the best choice?

On other C5 forums if you bad mouth Mobil 1 you get flamed horribly. I have always wondered how it compares in reality to other brands. Not enough to go experimenting but curiosity has always been there.

I just bought my C5 last week so I don't have any data on it, but I've been running Mobil 1 in all my cars for years. I have 209,000 miles on my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica, 257,000 miles on my daughter's 97 Honda, and I put 175,000 miles and well over a thousand passes down the dragstrip on my 96 impala - it ran 12's naturally aspirated and 11's on nitrous, and it was my daily driver for 10 years to boot. I only quit driving it because I totalled it, and the engine currently lives on in a buddy's impala.

None of these cars has ever had a failure of a part lubricated by engine oil. Whether or not it's the best on the market I don't know, but it sure gets the job done!

Someone mentioned Nascar,but every top-tier team has a group of chemists that develop oil for the teams.They don't run the off-the-shelf stuff like we do.

Lot's of good oils & filters on the market.

\db2
Carolina

So...these chemists on Cup teams...what do they do?
Make their own oil?

Do they get crude oil from an oil well the team has then refine and blend it themselves?

None of these cars has ever had a failure of a part lubricated by engine oil. Whether or not it's the best on the market I don't know, but it sure gets the job done!

Correct

I belong to several car forums and I don't remember anyone reporting an engine failure using Mobil !As far as using another brand thats Synthetic that meets spec thats all good and fine .Realize that over 100,000 miles you'll be able to save a blistering $60 .

Reality is that very few people on this forum that race or do performance driving that would even come close to taxing the engine oil .

yes-they do -but in small batchs-much like whiskey,then it's aged in oak barrels-in a barn in N.C.:w

yes-they do -but in small batchs-much like whiskey,then it's aged in oak barrels-in a barn in N.C.:w
FALSE: We don't waste charred Oak Barrels on Motor Oil in NC,What we put in them has a much lower flash point!~!!:thumb

:D

o.k-you may be right-Amsoil is put in oak barrels-it tastes sweeter than Mobil 1,therefor ending the oildebate on which oil is the best.The question asked many many threads ago.with love-Ernest.:upthumbs

o.k-you may be right-Amsoil is put in oak barrels-it tastes sweeter than Mobil 1,therefor ending the oildebate on which oil is the best.The question asked many many threads ago.with love-Ernest.:upthumbs
Ok, Let's go right to the next burning question,"Do you drive your Corvette in the snow"?:booty

yes! I did drive my corvette in the snow!First some jerk snow plow driver covered it up,then when I dug it out and drove it snow and ice was scraping and banging on the bottom,I said screw this and moved toFlor:happyanim:ida!

So...these chemists on Cup teams...what do they do?
Make their own oil?

Do they get crude oil from an oil well the team has then refine and blend it themselves?

Good question. Might make an interesting topic for a journalist!....really.

Ok, Let's go right to the next burning question,"Do you drive your Corvette in the snow"?:booty

Actually...I have. Seriously.
Back in the late Fall of 95, I bought my C4 in Michigan and was taking it to California. I spent a night in Ft. Collins CO and got up the next morning to find a Winter storm...big one...was coming. It was either get over I-70 and those high mountain passes that morning or get stuck for several days. I decided to go.

I got as far as the end of the Eisenhower Tunnel and it began to snow. I drove about 30 min more to the west and the snow got heavier and was starting to stick. Back then I had GS-C tires on the car and thank god the car had traction control and ABS because it was scary and would have been worse without those things.

After that half hour of snow, I was ahead of the storm.

Several hours later I was in Grand Junction eating a burger at Wendy's and saw on the TV that behind me it turned in to a blizzard and I-70 was closed.

There must be a few people out there who drive Vettes in the snow because during the C4 and C5 period, Goodyear sold snow tires in Corvette sizes. GM also did validation testing of C4 and C5 in the snow. Some GM guys once told me that a C5 with ABS and AH and four snow tires is very good on snow and ice until the snow gets as deep as the front air dam.

Ooops....this was an oil thread, wasn't it?

Ok.
The oil I had in my engine during that trip over I-70 was Red Line 10W30.

nice story Hib,by the way what is the BEST wax to use on your vette?:)

nice story Hib,by the way what is the BEST wax to use on your vette?:)

First, let me say there are hundreds of "wax" products on the market. I've only tested a few of them and that was for the car care story I did for the CAC a couple of years ago.

My choice for the best wax was C-Magic. It gave me the best looking finish and was reasonably easy to apply...not a lot of work but a little extra time as it's a two-step process. C-Magic remains my choice when I go get wax.

I like the company which makes it because it was started and is owned by Corvette people.

C-Magic is also the only brand of car care product used by the National Corvette Museum on Museum Delivery cars. The NCM is constantly getting unsolicited free samples of wax to try because 1) they buy a lot of wax and 2) it's obviously a big deal if a wax maker can say the NCM uses it. The NCM continues to use C-Magic in-spite of being bombarded by free wax products.

Oh yeah....I still own that 95 I drove through the snow and I wax it with C-Magic.

My '06 has seen the snow and ice here in OK. It did okay so long as the center snow/ice didn't get too deep. ;)

I'm with C-Magic also. :thumb

Now back to the oil thread:
My cars have Mobil 1 in them. No problems! :w

Thanks Hib-you seem to be the go to guy on this site.I'll try to get that wax.Also tell me about Red-line motor oil,like why do you use it?I respect you answers always on tech.things:thumb

I always ask the question how many engine failures do you know of that we're attributed from using Mobil 1??? The second question might be if zero is the answer how can another oil be better ?

I always ask the question how many engine failures do you know of that we're attributed from using Mobil 1??? The second question might be if zero is the answer how can another oil be better ?

I'll go you one better. When was the last time you actually saw failure due to ANY oil (except for running a car with very low or no oil)? Engine failure is probably not the point anymore. It's probably a question of longevity, etc - and since most of us don't run our cars until terminal engine wear, it may be moot.

It is also very important for many car forums since oil and wax are very important traffic elements.:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom