Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is this Legit?

vetteboy86

Corvette
1986 Black "Indy 500 Pace car replica"
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1216588482.html

Please see link. 1969 code date LJ 427.

Seems mighty low to me...but, you never know nowdays.

I've never heard of a police package. Not saying it isn't true. The vin # is not on the stamp pad. LJ is however.

LJ is a low perf big block engine from a cop car. Sounds like the seller is trying to be forthright in his description.

Might be worth a call to see why the price seems to be low.

If it is in fact a low performance BB cop engine, the car is not #'s matching then. I know alot of crazy things were done back than, but why not put a motor that was an option in the car. What would have happened to the original engine?

In my mind I imagine that as the cars come down the line, they were mated with the same serial number engine. If an order was placed by a law enforcement agency, surely the motor that was supposed to go in that car would have been manufactured with a serial number to match the car it was going in.

I think the price is high actually. If some validity is shown, then perhaps it is a deal. Is a 69 coupe non matching #'s worth 20k? Well that will open a huge debate i'm sure.

I saw it, and got interested!

If it is in fact a low performance BB cop engine, the car is not #'s matching then. I know alot of crazy things were done back than, but why not put a motor that was an option in the car. What would have happened to the original engine?

In my mind I imagine that as the cars come down the line, they were mated with the same serial number engine. If an order was placed by a law enforcement agency, surely the motor that was supposed to go in that car would have been manufactured with a serial number to match the car it was going in.

Lots of motors went bang back then. This one came from a cop car at some later date for reasons unknown. Engines were not stamped with the VIN derivative until they were on the car manufacturing line, not at the engine assembly plant.

There's nothing in the guy's ad that states that this is the original engine, I think you have the wrong end of the stick on this one.

If you don't think an NOM BB 69 coupe is worth 20K, let it go. Many others (including me) would think that it's very well priced.

What does this mean to you?

"427ENGINE BIGBLOCK (code date numbers LJ) POLICE SPECIAL WITH 4 SPD. M-22 ROCKCRUSHER TRANS WITH HEAVY DUTY CLUTCH , THIS IS A RARE BUILD PACKAGE,"

I guess my question hasn't been answered yet. Did somebody just threw a motor in this car? Was an LJ motor ever intentionally put into a corvette for police purposes?

It sounds to me that its a non-matching motor and transmission.
It may not even be a big block car. Tho the fact he says its a rare build package is kinda confusing. I would assume he means its a rare setup cause the engine is a cop car engine?
Anyways, if the car wasnt orange I probably would have tried to buy it already.
I'm looking for either a big block 4 speed matching car for more money or one that doesnt match but a lot cheaper. That orange though melts my eyes :(

Here is another one located nearby but no price listed.
1968 Corvette, Coupe, 427/390, 4sp, Correct, #'s Match, 43,000 Miles!

The M22 could be original; they were available in '69. Ditto for the heavy duty clutch if he's referring to the dual disc clutch which became available.

Might have been an original big block car -- who can say? But not with the LJ engine. Looks like an otherwise nice '69 with a replacement engine.

:)

Lots of motors went bang back then. This one came from a cop car at some later date for reasons unknown. Engines were not stamped with the VIN derivative until they were on the car manufacturing line, not at the engine assembly plant.

There's nothing in the guy's ad that states that this is the original engine, I think you have the wrong end of the stick on this one.

If you don't think an NOM BB 69 coupe is worth 20K, let it go. Many others (including me) would think that it's very well priced.
:thumb I agree with you Mikey. I think it is a very nice Corvette with a lot of work already completed. Price is not that bad considering the year and condition.

The transmissions were also stamped with the VIN. That can be checked. M22's were not available on all engines. so that's another check. There are other clues to big block cars as well (as you all know), like driveline straps were actually caps on big blocks. This sounds like a potentially nice driver, but the pedigree is HIGHLY suspect...Regards...joe

OBTW: The M22 had (I believe) a unique external configuration? If this is really a close ratio, might it be an M21?

The listing has been removed (in case no one caught that yet.) :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom