Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

It's Time For The New "Guessing Game"...Why Did The Canadians Install This Hole???

Viet Nam Vett

Corvette
65 BB 502 Cp /MSD ATOMIC EFI/ 2009-HUMMER H2
Ok...Let's have your Best Guess's here....I ordered this new Blower Motor From our Friends at "Corvette Central" at the Low Low ....Low price of $29.95. As you can see by the Label...It's made in the far north country ....(Canada).
What were they thinking.............

Now I would like to know what they were thinking when they installed the large hole in the butt end of the motor housing. Lets see my guess would be............

A Beer Flushing access hole to clean out the crankcase blow by and under hood airborne Gack................

What's Your Guess???..

mot001.jpg

mot002

67HEAVEN said:
Geesh. Beaver access hole. I thought everyone knew that. :D

Except the beaver that I know would get her fur caught up in that small hole............:D

Hey Beaver where's the snorkel vent tube :confused

Is the hole at the top when installed? If so, it is just like mine. I figured they put it there so that any water that managed to splash up there would go into the motor and short it out, thereby requiring a new motor. :L

Doug

tigernut said:
Is the hole at the top when installed? If so, it is just like mine. I figured they put it there so that any water that managed to splash up there would go into the motor and short it out, thereby requiring a new motor. :L

Doug

Didn't orient the motor yet..but I will be sending it back...Maybe the Beavers can knaw the hole shut..!!:L

There should/would/used to be a rubber tube that vents air into it on some models. Obviously yours is not one of them.

If I was somebody else, I might say "Put some tape on it".

Some blower motors draw cooling air from the fan box through a rubber tube to cool the windings.

Plug it with racer tape. ;LOL

Those motors had a vent tube to them. We used to sell the motors. At a jobber store they used to be about $14-$18. A neat trick is you can use the blower motor out of air conditioned cars, they blow a ton more air for about $25. Bolts right in. You can tell the diference by the mounting flange. The flange is more round. Looks like 67's got the a/c type motor. I can't see your flange Vett but if your flange has a more pointed side it is just the normal heater motor.

It is a vent connection for cooling air to enter the winding housing from the a.c. evaporator case.

Originally only factory air cars had motors with this vent hole. However, a service motor now comes with this hole in case it is going to be installed in a factory a.c. car. If your car doesn't have a.c., you're expected to plug the hole to keep out dirt.

67HEAVEN said:
This is mine. See the plugs in the plastic bag?
heater-blower-350.jpg

Anything else, VNV? :D

Yeah.... Where did you buy it???

00fxd said:
Those motors had a vent tube to them. We used to sell the motors. At a jobber store they used to be about $14-$18. A neat trick is you can use the blower motor out of air conditioned cars, they blow a ton more air for about $25. Bolts right in. You can tell the diference by the mounting flange. The flange is more round. Looks like 67's got the a/c type motor. I can't see your flange Vett but if your flange has a more pointed side it is just the normal heater motor.

Here's a crapy pic of the Motor....So..is it an AC Or Non AC??..Thanks :beer

mot006.jpg

67HEAVEN said:
I think you'll find that the 'merican ones have the same "vent" hole. ;)

Example: https://www.chevyduty.com/Store/products.asp?dept=377

I'll just do some Bubba engineering here and add a special tube that goes from the motor and runs down thru the engine compartment to the front grill. This here way...I can suck me up some of that there cold road air...:D
redn.jpg

Bubba has taught us to do some strange things....He lives near Elvis in Tweed, Ontario.

bubba2_004.jpg

I've never noticed a difference in the number/size of motor windings between factory a.c. fans and the others. I believe any air flow difference would be due to the a.c. fan impeller design.

blower motor

up here we need to plug in a 110 volt extension to keep the blower motor warm.very long wind-up extension :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom